Author Topic: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire  (Read 28123 times)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
« on: Wednesday 13 August 08 01:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Is there anyone who can help me with a baptism in 1823/24 in either of the above parishes.  I am looking for the birth of a William Morley Markwell in the above years.  I think he is the son of Bartholomew Markwell and his wife Sarah (nee Jeffery) but there is some suggestion his parents may be Benjamin Markwell and Emily Izard. 

He eventually moved to London as an apprentice to a tailor in Islington (1841 census) and married the tailor's daughter Mary Ann Izard.  This couple had 3 children in London before leaving in 1849 to come to Australia on the ship Chasely.  Although baptised with the christian names of William Morley he used the name John Markwell.   There is much confusion over this chap and we are not sure exactly who he is. 

Any assistance to sort out his parentage would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Andcarred
Brisbane Australia
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline makjeng

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 08 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

My notes have 'him' recorded as "William (John) MARKWELL" B:10-AUG-1823 Horncastle; D: 26-OCT-1881 buried 27-OCT-1881 in Toowong Cemetery.
Married: Mary Ann (that matches) but with family name TYARD which is near enough to IZARD to indicate a transcription error somewhere.

William is listed in the Queensland  archives list of immigrants on board the Chaseley.

He subsequently remarried, twice(?)

Morley pops up as a second name in a later generation.

Hope this is useful.

Makjeng

Offline bell58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 06:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Markwell researchers, I have been researching the Markwells from Horncastle for some time. My Mother was a Markwell, descended from Samuel Markwell. My theory is that the Markwells were French Huguenots who fled France to Lincolnshire in the 17th century. They were lured there to assist in draining the Fens which was a huge marshland. There was the promise of obtaining land. Previous to this they were Ashkenazi Jews who may have converted to avoid persecution. I have had my uncle do his Y DNA to prove my theory. His DNA shows significant amounts of Icelandic/ Norwegian DNA ( East Anglia was a former Danish kingdom) and Jewish DNA. Obviously when they arrived in Lincolnshire they intermarried).  I have read research papers  that report that significant numbers of Jews converted to Prostestants in France. Please contact if anyone is interested. Tom Bell.   

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 October 09 12:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom,

I am very interested in the Markwell tree and particularly in your DNA experiments.   Could you PM me about this family please.  I live in Brisbane, Qld.

Andcarred                                         
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline davidwhite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my wife is descended from William John Morley Markwell, and I have a fair bit of information on him. though when I say information, this could be interpreted as speculation.

On his marriage cert. in 1841 (in London) he was John, aged “minor” (i.e. less than 21) and in the 1841 Census (in London) earlier on that same year he was John, aged “15” (in that Census they put “15” for anyone between 15 and 20). He was born then between 1822 and 1826, I imagine it was closer to 1822, making him 19 or possibly 20 at marriage. He was a tailor, and in 1841 he was living with his brother Benjamin and family of 4 children in London.

His parents were Bartholomew and Sarah (Jeffries) who also had, according to the IGI, a son John in 1806. I think the IGI have a son William christened in 1822, and this could be where the William/John business arises. 

William John’s birth in 1822 was 5 years after his next oldest brother, 23 years after B and S’s first child, and there is no IGI record for him. If he was born in 1823, his mother would have been 44. Not impossible of course, but they did have their oldest son, Bartholomew, in 1799. Also missing IGI records are the christenings of  Samuel (1815) and Isaac (1818), those who went over to Oz in 1849. Also strange is that Samuel is recorded as being born in Wainfleet, after the first 5 children were born in Horncastle. If the family had moved to Wainfleet, then William John’s birth should have been there too.

He was married 3 times:
first to Mary Anne IZARD in London before emigrating (with 3 children). I have a copy of the marriage certificate.
His second marriage was with Georgina Edmonstone, and they had 10 children. I have a copy of this marriage certificate also.
His third was with Harriet Hunt Davis Beal – 6 children.

Speculation on his use of "Morley":
I did find on the internet that the “Morley” was a convict ship in the 1820s and early 30s.

In 1868, an 8-year old son of he and his second wife, Frederick Morley MARKWELL, died, and that might be why he adopted the name "Morley" for himself, which was how his grandson had always referred to him. [His grandson was my wife's grandfather] It was while trying to determine how this name came about that I came across the convict ship called “Morley”. He wasn't a convict and the "Morley" finished operating when he was about 10 years old in Lincolnshire, so it's still a mystery. His 3rd wife, Harriet outlived him, and ended up with "all the money". Much of this had come from George EDMONSTONE, his second father-in-law, a wealthy business man, who set up a butchers shop and became “the first mayor of Brisbane”

A few years ago, on a rare sunny day in the north of England, we drove down to visit the church at Hammeringham, where Bartholomew and Sarah were married in 1798. The church records there only went back as far as 1837.

I'd be interested where makjeng's source of his date of birth.

If anyone can add any more to my information I’d appreciate it.

Offline JenniePS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 May 10 06:54 BST (UK) »
Have a look at some of the stuff on Facebook. There seems to be DNA that tracks the Brisbane Markwells to R1a1 haplogroup, found at highest levels among peoples of Eastern European descent.

Also, William (John Morley) Markwell's home was called Moorlands Villa. After his death it was sold to the Mayne family. It is on the site of what is today the Wesley Hospital in Chasely Street, Auchenflower. (Markwell had migrated aboard "Chasely".)

I wonder if Moorlands was named after somewhere in Lincolnshire that represented home. It is certainly nothing like moor land situated on a hill overlooking the Brisbane River. I also wonder if Morley and Moorlands are not in some way connected.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 January 11 22:24 GMT (UK) »
I am also interested in the Markwells, currently particularly in the burial of Thomas Markwell, who was probably buried close to Moorlands. From my information, Thomas was born 1806 or 1808 in Wainfleet to Bartholomew Markwell and Sarah Jeffreys and was a brother of William/ John. He married Harriet Dickinson 31 Jan 1840 at Wainfleet All Saints. He died 22 Nov 1862 in Brisbane Australia when a tree fell on him (Courier Monday 24 November 1862 Page 2). He was buried in the Wesley Burial Grounds, from one source, or Lang Park Cemetery, Milton. The old Milton cemetery had a Methodist section. I believe the graves from there were relocated to Toowong cemetery but I cannot find a record of Thomas there. I am also having difficulty finding when he emigrated, but it seems it was after the 1861 UK census. His sister Mary b 1806  (or Mary Ann b 1802) m West Morley Ling on 30 Sep 1631 in Wainfleet, emigrated 1849 age 47 on Fortitude, d 1849 Apr 10 was also buried in 1849 Apr Lang Park, Brisbane.

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 January 11 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I have a large tree of Markwell research and these are the comments I have for Thomas

On 1841, 1851 and 1861 census of England.  Died in Brisbane in 1862 so therefore came to Australia after April 1861 and before Nov 1862.

Thomas Markwell did not join his brothers in Brisbane until about 1860.  Unfortunately it was not a lucky move for Thomas as he was killed shortly after arrival by being hit by a falling tree at his property at Indooroopilly.  His wife, who had given birth to 16 children, also lost a set of twins in England just before coming to Australia.

Not sure whether Thomas was moved from Lang Park to Toowong, I will check up when I have time.  His sister in law Mary Ann (wife of William/John/Morley) was buried at Lang Park but moved to the family grave at Toowong.  Too busy trying to stop flood waters at the moment.  The Auchenflower area of Markwell fame could easily be underwater by this afternoon.   Luckily Moorlands was built on a hill overlooking the river so should be safe.

Andcarred
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior