Author Topic: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire  (Read 28138 times)

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Register of Horncastle or Wainfleet, Lincolnshire
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 30 October 11 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Yes. It seems quite possible William or John Morley Markwell might be found as a son of Bartholomew and Sarah.
Many apologies, also, for typing 1778 instead of 1779 for Sarah's baptism
On p. 9 I also found the burial of Thomas Jeffery, presumably her father.
In Horncastle Par/1/7 baptisms and burials 1794 - 1809, I found the baptisms/ christenings of some other children of George and Sarah Rose - p. 51 of 83 was Edwin 1806 p. 53 of 83 was Ann 1808 & p. 56 of 83 was John 1809. By this time our Sarah Jeffery was married to Bartholomew, so perhaps it wasn't her who had the 1st illegitimate child, Rose, or maybe he married another Sarah.
The children I've found so far for Bartholomew and Sarah are:
Bartholomew b 1798 bp 1799 Horncastle
Mary b 1801 bp 1806 Horncastle m 1833 West Ling Wainfleet All Saints
Benjamin b 1803 bp 1804 Horncastle
John bp 1806 Horncastle
I don't have Thomas's baptism or that of Harriet Dickinson his wife, or their marriage, but I have the baptisms of several children to them in Wainfleet All Saints and re Harriet's parents I have John Dicki/enson bp 1789 Hogsthorpe m Mildred Sebright Addlethorpe 1817 and bu  1877 Wainfleet All Saints, with parents Edward Dickinson & Mary. Edward was bu Hogsthorpe 1791. Mildred Sebright was bp 1796 Addlethorpe with parents George Sibright (ch 1753 in Addlethorpe) & Mary Burntoft sp 2 of George Sibwright , who she m 1790 in Huttoft. I have the baptisms of John Dickinson & Mildred Sebright's other children, but not Harriet.
Sarah m 1831 Francis Hoyles? Wainfleet All Saints
Susannah m 1833 Jeremiah Sharp Wainfleet All Saints

Hope this is of help

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 November 11 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I haven't done any more recently on Lincs to the Past. However, on Trove, searching re Markwell for something else, then in the newspapers, then in the decade 1860- 1869, I found several articles about the death of Henry John Izard/ Isaac Markwell, William (John Morley) Markwell's son, in 1868. He fell from his horse and there was an inquest. It says he was survived by a widow and a child. From Ian's Genealogy pages,and from Denise's family on free pages genealogy site, his widow would have been Annette Alice Russell. Neither say who the child was, and I haven't yet found anything on the Qld bdm about a child. Their marriage was 1866/ B1951. You probably know this already, but I thought it might be of interest.

Offline dabet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 28 November 11 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I am descended from Samuel's dau Eliza.  I have the birth of John, non-conformist record John Markwell born 10 Aug 1822 bap 1 Sept 1822 Horncastle (Wesleyan Methodist Chapel) father Bartholomew, tailor, mother Sarah, place of abobe: Horncastle.  He is William (aged 26) on the immigration records and John everywhere else.  (Don't know when Morley came into the picture.)  I think that Samuel & Isaac were also bap at non-conformist Churches as they are not on the Wainfleet All Saints records.  Hope this is some help.

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 November 11 02:04 GMT (UK) »
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 28 November 11 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Searchr,

I believe the child was Cora Henrietta Markwell born 1867.  She married Frederick William Barrymore in 1893.

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline dabet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 28 November 11 04:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,

The above was my first post & it seems that I can't send you a personal message yet.  I would be very interested in your tree as it's always good to compare findings.

Regards Betty

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 28 November 11 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Dabet, Make another post on this or any thread which counts to the number of postings, basically any thread except "The lighter side", and you will be able to exchange personal messages. Welcome and Good luck.Give the Help columns a good reading too.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline dabet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'll see what happens after this one.

Offline searchr

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 29 November 11 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all, especially Andcarred and Dabet
Dabet, it's great that we now have descendants of William/ John, Thomas and Samuel on this site. I will get back into Lincs to the Past soon, but have been diverted to other aspects of my family. I was getting discouraged as key people like Thomas and his wife Harriet were missing. I'll follow  up your lead. By the way, your Samuel and Eliza have basic details about them on National Library of Australia's Pandora archive: first families. They have lots about them on Trove, Ian's genealogy pages and Denises's family on genealogy free pages.
They are also in the Brisbane City Council Library's book 929.099 QUE Qld Founding Families. In there it says a grandson of Samuel and Mary started Markwell's Fisheries in Tweed Heads. What I'd love to know is which grandson. Would you know that?