Author Topic: Wanted - My Ancestor was a Murderer!  (Read 7046 times)

Offline Robin Hood

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted - My Ancestor was a Murderer!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 24 July 09 16:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
  I have a twig named William Cornelius Jones, hanged at Armley goal Leeds 1927 for murder of wife and unborn child. He was in the Territorial Army and shot her with his service rifle.
Hubbard, Read, Pinkett, Eastwood, Willetts, Whitehouse, Wilson, Cook(e),Goodman

Offline toni*

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:25 BST (UK) »
i did some research into Thomas Bentley who i thought was mine but the found wasnt mine he bashed his wifes head in newspaper reports said he was a lay about eager to live off his childrens earnings and jealous of his wife although he had no need to be, after he killed his wife he hung/hanged himself, the irony is he lived by the rope and died by the rope i have his birth and right through the census til his death plus childrens details and that of his mother, father and stepfather.
Holman & Vinton- Cornwall, Wojciechowskyj & Hussak- Bukowiec & Zahutyn, Bentley & Richards- Leicester, Taylor-Kent/Sussex  Punnett-Sussex,  Bear/e- Monkleigh Gazey-Warwicks

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchive

Offline Ermintrude46

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Capture of the Maria Riggersbergen, Oct 18th 1806
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 25 July 09 21:51 BST (UK) »
My 3xgreatgrandmother, Jane Cheeseman, was allowed to plead not guilty to murder at the Old Bailey in July1836 because she had pleaded guilty to the manslaughter of her 14 year old niece, Sarah Jane Cheeseman.  Sarah Jane and her younger sister Susanna Isabella (aged 11) were forced by Jane to sew two pairs of 5d stays (women's corset-type underwear) each, often working from six in the morning to late at night, every day except Sunday on piecework for a local agent.  Sarah Jane had TB (and this was given as the official cause of death by the workhouse doctor who attended her the day before she died) but she had not received any medical attention as Jane believed she was feigning illness to avoid the sewing, for which she was regularly severely beaten by Jane.  The local paper had extensive details of the case under the headline "Shocking Case of Cruelty", which made shocking reading and the case had apparently caused an outcry in the Deptford area at the time with Sarah Jane's widowed father being forced to leave the inquest "under the protection of the police, amidst the yells and execrations of assembled hundreds, who had surrounded the house from six o'clock the commencement of the enquiry til past one o'clock this morning". 

Jane was sentanced to two years imprisonment with hard labour, meanwhile her teenage daughter, my 2x greatgrandmother, had two trials herself at the Old Bailey for theft and deception and admitted to working part time as a "lady of the night".  I must admit it forced me to revise my previously rosy picture of my ancestors as "horny-handed sons of toil" of which I had been so proud and to admit that some had obviously suffered from ignorance and emotional poverty as well as material poverty.
Ermy
Baldwin / Dixey / Rumble (Berkshire)
Burnsides / Corps / Harker / HINDLE / Longstaff / Martin / Page (Co. Durham)
Chalker / Glyde / Morris / Pitman / Stroud (Dorset)
BARTON / Heasman / Wheatley (East Sussex)
Baby / Silver / Silvester (Hampshire)
Cheeseman / JONES / Wood (Kent)
Chalker (Somerset)
Curtis / Davis / Stevens (Wiltshire)
Arcules / Carter / HINTON (Worcestershire)
~.~. main lines in CAPS .~.~

Offline Floss

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Forward 1823-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 26 July 09 07:39 BST (UK) »
HI Dan

Nothing really to do with your post but have just bought your book !! Someone recommended it to me as I've love murder/mystery and also genealogy they thought it would interest me.
Anyway welcome to Rootschat  ;D

Fiona
Cutsforth - Hull
Blades/Donson - Lincolnshire
Forward - Hull/Lincolnshire/Polperro
Fryman - Grimsby
Seed - Dewsbury/Lincolnshire
McIlduff - Portadown/Glasgow
McIntosh - Aberdeen/Glasgow
Beattie - Angus/Aberdeen
Census Information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Catherine A

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 14:37 BST (UK) »
I have a great-uncle who disappeared without trace in about 1925 and apparently no-one in the family knows what happened to him, so I guess he could have been killed. Or, of course, just run off with another woman, changed his name, emograted.... I do have a relative mid 19C who was in gaol but I haven't succeeded in finding out why yet. Someone earlier mentioned the Wigan website so that might be a place to look since we're Wiganers.
Cheers
Catherine
Lancashire: Read, Carter, Bayman; Yorkshire: Pearson, Warcup, Batty; Derbyshire/Notts: Carver; Liverpool: Carver; Scotland: Irving (Dalbeattie), Aitken, Crawford, Wilkie (Argyll).

Offline ed_

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 15 May 21 21:22 BST (UK) »
I have a twig named William Cornelius Jones, hanged at Armley goal Leeds 1927 for murder of wife and unborn child. He was in the Territorial Army and shot her with his service rifle.
I can see from the Eastwood in your sig that you have a connection with Mary Crelley (née Eastwood) the mother of the young woman Jones murdered.

Have you found out any more about the case, the parties involved, or their family backgrounds?