Author Topic: Dan Barr's Shop COMPLETED  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dan Barr's Shop COMPLETED
« on: Thursday 14 August 08 14:47 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a record of my great Grandfathers birth. His name was Daniel Barr and he started a Barber Shop at 50, Cromac St. in 1880. He died in 1931 aged 71. I went to PRONI and viewed St. Malachy's records but they were a big mess. I know he lived at 48, Verner St. when he married in1880 but cannot say for sure where he was born. Can anyone give me some direction. His father [also Daniel] died in 1885 in Verner St.
Barr,Hughes,McGuigan,McDonnell,Lavery, Weir,McGurk, McKee, Campbell Ambrose Sweeney O.Donnell Tennyson Mackle

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Dan Barr's Shop
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 March 09 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Daniel Barr, age 50, hairdresser, living at Cromac St. with his family gives birthplace as Belfast City in 1911 Census.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search

If you've already found the information you were looking for please modify the title of your 1st post on this thread by adding 'completed' so it can be moved to completed lookup requests.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bardany

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dan Barr's Shop COMPLETED
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 09:25 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately the exact date and place of my great grandfather's birth elude me . my posting has had no response so if you wish I will mark completed.
Barr,Hughes,McGuigan,McDonnell,Lavery, Weir,McGurk, McKee, Campbell Ambrose Sweeney O.Donnell Tennyson Mackle

Offline OTTO

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 April 09 09:57 BST (UK) »
Looked high and low for your Daniel, but found nothing in Irish records.
I had a few credits left on Scotlands people ( http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ) , and had a look for a birth between 1855 and 1865. I know it appears from Census records that he was born in Belfast, but this may not be the case, especially as no birth record can be found.

There were 5, dating between those years, notably two in Dalry in Ayrshire.
I had a look at those two, and one was born to a Daniel Barr and Elizabeth Kilpatrick on 8th June 1858 at 00:30. Daniel the father was an Iron Miner.
Unfortunately I dont have any more credits left to use for you, but i think this record is a real possibility.
I'll send you the details by P M , in case I infringe copyright.

If he was born in Belfast,and you have a resonably accurate year of birth, then the GRO in Belfast should be able to find his birth record for a small fee ( www.groni.gov.uk/  ) but if he was born before 1864, then Church records are your best bet.

Good luck

OTTO

Offline Brown Maxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 May 10 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Dan, My name is Richard Brown and to cut a long story short, I believe that in some way I'm also connected to the Bar family that lived in the Market area of Belfast. My Great Grandmother was a woman called Mary Joyce who was married to William Joyce, Mary's maiden name was Barr and her father I believe was Daniel Barr, who would have been my great great grandfather on my mother's side. My mother is called Marie Brown and her mother was called Kathleen Maxwell who was the daughter of Mary Joyce/Barr. I was born and bread as they say in the Market and remember going to what we called my uncle Jo's barbers shop in Cromac Street to get a short back and sides. I'm currently putting together a family tree of the Brown/Maxwell family and would love to hear from you regarding the Barr connection. If you contact me through this site I will leave you my email address and if you would like we can email directly. The research I have done so far is not extensive but does go back to around the 1830/40/50's. If I can help you in any way I will do so, Bye the way I have my mum's old wedding album which I believe has photos of some of the barr's from Cromac street, although I'm not sure who is who.

Look forward to hearing from you Dan,

Richard Brown

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 May 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Richard. After you've made 3 posts you'll be able to use PM (personal message) system to exchange email addresses, recent family details, etc. which you aren't allowed to post online.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Brown Maxwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 May 10 23:23 BST (UK) »
Hello aghadowey, thank you for welcoming me to the site, I'm hoping that I'll be able to develop my family tree through the site and as I use it more frequently, get to know to the rules and guidelines of using the site.

Offline Jenny87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 January 19 16:45 GMT (UK) »
I see that the discussion is marked completed, only just joined RootsChat.  Daniel Barr (the barber) - his father Daniel was my 3rd great grandfather, Dan the barber's brother - John - being my 2nd great grandfather.  Daniel Barr b. 1827 was married to Maria Weir b. 1830 all in Belfast.  I have collected a fair bit of family tree information, but only going as far back as Daniel Barr and Maria Weir at this stage, although I do know that Maria had a twin brother Thomas and their mother was Mary Clarke.

Offline amck1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 October 19 15:35 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have information about Danny Barr living with Agnes Greer in the 1940/1950's?