Author Topic: Santa Clara Valley - BROOME  (Read 1678 times)

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Santa Clara Valley - BROOME
« on: Thursday 14 August 08 20:07 BST (UK) »
Please could anyone tell me what records there are, that could tell me anything about the following man.

William Richard Broome of The Guadalasca Rancho . He was born in Macclesfield Cheshire in 1854.
I do not know when he died. He was a trained chemist and druggist.

Taken from Ventura County history published 1891.  The Guadalasca Rancho 23,000 acres were purchased some years since by William Richard Broome, an English gentleman of leisure, living in Sants Barbara.

Please could you point me in the right direction.

Thank you,
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara Valley
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 August 08 20:17 BST (UK) »
You can check here for the 1880 & 1900 Census:  http://labs.familysearch.org/ 

Under Google books, there is a book called California editor By Thomas More Storke, Walker A. Tompkins.  Only a snippet view is available, but on a page that has Guadalasca Rancho on it, it says "Among the first to build a palatial home in the city proper, rather than in Montecito, were Lord and Lady William Richard Broome of England.  They arrived in 1876, the year of my birth.  Lord Broome was born in Yorkshire and had been educated as a..." and that's all you can see.

Google books also has The Pacific Reporter, which mentions a case dealing with William Richard Broome's estate.  His widow Frances was appointed executrix of the will on 25 July 1891, so I guess he died sometime before then.

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara Valley
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 August 08 20:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information Shellyesq. His wife was born in Yorkshire and he married her there, but he

was born in Cheshire. He wasn't  a Lord, but did come from a very well off family. His Granmother left

him the money he brought the land with in the USA. He also had his fathers Estates and part of his

mother estate. They both died when he was young and his Grandmother brought him up and his sister.

I will try and trace him using the records you have told me about,

Thank you

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Santa Clara Valley - BROOME
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 August 08 20:41 BST (UK) »
They seem to have stuck with the Lord & Lady titles.  There's an article in the New York Times which refers to her as Lady:  http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=940DE5DB1430E132A25753C1A9609C94689ED7CF

Frances & daughter Amy seem to show up in the 1900 in Santa Barbara.  In the 1910 Census, they are still in Santa Barbara and are listed as boarders. 

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 August 08 20:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that it wonderful. Amy is called after his mother and is a family name. I think that the

money went to their heads. I really don't know what his sister must of made of it.

Well it make the family tree colourful  ::) ;D

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 August 08 21:57 BST (UK) »
Found this in the Oxnard Daily Courier from 24 Feb. 1922

Found this in the Press-Courier of Oxnard, Calif. dated 3 Jan. 1964

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 August 08 22:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks many times for this it is Wonderful . I will and read it
and make the print bigger.
Cheers  ;D

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 August 08 22:04 BST (UK) »
In 1899, The Mountain Democrat paper says Frances' attorney was suing her for $2750 in attorney's fees related to her recent trial in which she was found guilty of resisting an officer.

There's an article in the Washington Post from 1911 which refers to the "real Lady Broome (whom I style thus to distinguish her from the bogus "Lady" Broome, who landed in jail in Santa Barbara, in California, a couple of years ago)"     Fun family.  ;D  

And this from the Reno Evening Gazette, 29 Nov. 1907

I also found a full page article from a California newspaper in 1972 about one of William's grandsons.

Frances' obit, Oxnard Daily Courier, 10 Nov. 1921

Offline CU

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 August 08 22:12 BST (UK) »
They sound a mad as a box of frogs, I bet there was never a dull moment with them about.

Thank you for all your hard work in finding them, It makes his sister life sound very restful.