Author Topic: Genes Reunited Member?  (Read 5473 times)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited Member?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 21 August 08 08:57 BST (UK) »
I do think that there are a lot of people on GR who are not very committed to family history and only have their immediate family recorded.  I have been in touch with a few who are "researching" the same lines as me and have virtually nothing on their tree.

I have only the bare bones on GR but if anyone gets in touch with me I am prepared to share from my main one.  I have had a couple of really good experiences.  Very annoying though when you get no reply!

I have recently had contact with someone who was almost certainly my first cousin's daughter. It turned out that I was correct. My aunt, her grandmother died when she was only 26 so she hasn't got much info from her grandmother's side and I was able to help her.  Our family was last in contact more than 30 years ago and that was only a very brief vist from her uncle to my mother, before that it was more than 50 years. 

So GR can be good!!
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 21 August 08 09:13 BST (UK) »
As for people replying to queries you send to people on GR,whilst there are always those who you might be waiting as if forever for a reply,there are also those who you wish hadn't bothered to reply!As a general rule I always used to give access to my Tree when sending a query of a person in someone's Tree;However as may be the case sometimes you may be enquiring about someone you have not as yet added to your tree,and I got fed up with receiving that literally stupid reply of;"This is not my relative"!So now I have changed tactics and unless there is an obvious connection no longer grant access to my Tree ,and no longer receive such replies.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Cefn Mawr
Wrexham.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alienangel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 21 August 08 16:37 BST (UK) »
A GR member contacted me a few months ago and I replied that we did in fact have a match (cousins by marriage). I have not heard anything from them since. Which is a shame as it is on my late Dad's side of the family who we have not seen/spoken to for many years.

Angel
Bucks/Lincs/London/Northants: Alibone/Allibone (and variants)
Northants/London/Northumberland: Stonebanks, Northants: Ashford, Woodbridge
Beds/Bucks/London/Northants: Bull
Lincs/London: Doades, Elsey

Offline polidor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 August 08 17:14 BST (UK) »
My latest G.R grouse is that recently i was contacted by a very young member [ i was allowed to see their tree] they had over 3 thousand on their tree and i found that a bit 'iffy' at such a young age but nevertheless the person they where enquiring about was deffinately 'one of mine' so i offered to send them more info about this person. Offer accepted and i sent quite a bit of information on to them. Haven't heard a dickie bird since. Their tree has vanished and not a 'ta' in sight. To add to that, the fact that i didn't have time to note anything from their tree from the short time i had access  ::)
Behling---- London
Bridges---- London
Copperwheat----Bedfordshire---Norfolk
Denton----Bedfordshire
Edwards----Wales
Evans----N.Wales
Farrow----Norfolk
Hughes----N.Wales
Jones----Wales---Bedfordshire
Lambert----London
Larmouth/uth----London
Ostler----Norfolk
Sherwood----Bedfordshire
Silver----Bedfordshire---Suffolk
Smart----Leicestershire---Middx
Teagle----Buckinghamshire---Wales
Totterdell----Hampshire---London---Stoke-On-Trent
Woods----London

Offline meles

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 21 August 08 17:17 BST (UK) »
That's a new trick. And a nasty one.  >:(

What is it with some people?  ::)

meles
Brock: Alburgh, Norfolk, and after 1850, London; Tooley: Norfolk<br />Grimmer: Norfolk; Grimson: Norfolk<br />Harrison: London; Pollock<br />Dixon: Hampshire; Collins: Middx<br />Jeary: Norfolk; Davison: Norfolk<br />Rogers: London; Bartlett: London<br />Drew: Kent; Alden: Hants<br />Gamble: Yorkshire; Huntingford: East London

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk