Author Topic: LATTA families  (Read 16383 times)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: LATTA families
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 10 December 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
I was in Stonehouse cemetery today and took a photo of the headstone of Anne Latta who died in 1913 aged 72 years. She was married to James Harrower.

Send me a pm with your email and I will send a copy of the photo

Offline jackieccm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 08 July 11 20:29 BST (UK) »
Sally - I am also a decendant of Robert Latta and Hannah Coyle, they are my g/g grandparents, I am a descendant of their daughter Catherine.  Her son, Robert Crossen was my paternal grandfather.  My father told me she was lovely, with a broad Scots accent, he adored her.

Could you email back so we can sort out the connection?  I can't see which Branch they are from on the Latta website.  Thanks so much!  Best, Jackie.

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 08 July 11 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Jackie and Sally

http://latta.org/Notes/Notes/Note%2014.htm

Is where Robert & Hannah appear on the LATTA.ORG site - Note14, but they don't appear to have a branch. 

Robert's parents were John LATTA & Mary ROBERTSON, according to his 1863 death record - though I'm sure you have all that!

(I'm not related, but have researched this family.)

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 09 July 11 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Looking through my notes, I see I have wondered if Robert LATTA (m Hannah COYLE) is part of, somehow : Branch 12.

The evidence is only circumstantial :
In 1855 in Rutherglen, a William LATTA b c 1829/1831 Co. Tyrone married an Agnes RANKINE. This William's parents were Robert LATTA and Rebecca McLARAE (or McRAE). One of the Witness' to the 1855 marriage was: John LATTA, Coal Miner. I can't find that William ever had a brother named John, only that he probably had a brother named Robert and a sister name Catherine (their father Robert died, and mother Rebecca remarried).

NOTES:
One Census states William's  pob as Tyrone, Ireland. His marriage states Donag-hadee, Ireland.  There is a Donaghadee in Co. Down - but it is probably Donaghedy in Co. Tyrone  which is where a lot of LATTA's came from, principally identifed  from Branch #12. It helps that on both occasions where his pob is stated, William himself was the source of the information.

It is not proved, but a witness to William's  1855 marriage, is John LATTA who may be the  son b abt 1835 of Robert LATTA and Hannah COYLE. The witness did not sign his own name on the record - all names have been written by the registering officer (ie can't compare witness signature to a known signature of John LATTA b 1835).However, all indications are that there were no other John LATTA's in Rutherglen at the time  who could have been the witness. The question remains: What was the witness John LATTA's relationship to William -  brother? a cousin? half-brother?

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline jackieccm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 19:47 BST (UK) »
Ambly,thank you for letting me know about my Latta branch, that Robert Latta, husband of Hannah Coyle (my gg grandfather) died in 1863.  I understand from your message that his parents were John Latta and Mary Robertson, this was on his death certificate.  Can you give me any more info about his parents, please?

All their children are listed in Note 14, (I think that's right), my g/grandmother was Catherine Latta and her son Robert Crossen (an) was my grandfather, who I never met, as he died a year after my father was born in an accident.

Does anyone have more info on Hannah Coyle?  Thank you all so much, you have been so helpful!

Best, Jackie

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 09 October 11 23:38 BST (UK) »
Headstone in Hamilton West cemetery

Erected by The Family

in loving memory of

Our dear parents

JAMES LATTA

Died 4 Feb 1956

Aged 53 years

JESSIE SHAW LATTA

Died 20 Feb 1970

Aged 64 years

Offline SueLatta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 28 August 12 23:38 BST (UK) »
Jackie and Sallie.  If you have any more information that you can add to Note 14 on the www.latta.org website, please send me the information and I will make sure to update it on our website.  Thanks.

Sue Cox
Webmaster
(*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Latta, Latto, Latty - Scotland, Ireland, USA, or any other location in the world.

Offline R_M_A_C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 03 March 19 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I am making this post so I can find this thread later and make my required 3 posts so I can PM members. I am a descendant of Robert Latta and Hannah Coyle.