Author Topic: Thomas Jemmison  (Read 3150 times)

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Jemmison
« on: Saturday 16 August 08 10:28 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Looking for birth of Thomas Jemmison/Jimmison around 1794ish Blackwell Durham.    Think this comes under Darlinghurst.  If anybody has access to these records any info much appreciated.

Many thanks  Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.
Tapp, Nosworthy: Devon & Middlesex, London

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Jemmison
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 August 08 11:27 BST (UK) »
Blackwell comes under Darlington St. Cuthbert.
See http://www.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/dro.nsf/vwebplaces
The Bishop's Transcripts are available at http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0
Click on Europe, they are under United Kingdom.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 August 08 12:23 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Stan, had no idea these records were available on that site.   Just brilliant.   Will spend some time going through them and hopefully find my Mr. Jemmison and some other members of his family. 

Many thanks.

Val
Rodgers; Smith; Banks; Lawson; Mead; Horseley; Firth: Whitby, Lythe,Loftus, North Yorkshire.
Harker,Swales, Stephenson: Stokesley, Stockton,  South Bank, Middlesbrough Yorkshire.

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 02:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Val,
I think your Thomas might well be part of the family I have in my tree.
Thomas Jimmison of Staindrop married Phillis Craggs of Brancepeth on 13th May 1794 at Brancepeth.
The children that I've found so far are, George 1802 at Sedgefield, Sarah 1807 at Brancepeth, Richard 1812 at Stapleton, William 1814 at Stapleton. The family obviously moved around in their earlier years of married life before settling down in Stapleton and then Blackwell which are near neighbours. On Sarah's baptism entry she is said to be their 5th child so I am missing 3 others, at least.

Colin

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I have had a look at the website Stan told me about and found the records for St.Cuthberts Darlington only show up to 1795 at the moment and I have not found baptism of Thomas Jemmison.  The only thing I found for Jemmison was baptism of Ann Jemmison daughter of George in 1791.  In 1841 Thomas is not born in county (Yorkshire) and 1851 says born Blackwell Durham.    He married Ann Bennison in 1816 at Guisborough NY and had  children Bessy, Thomas, John, Sarah and Hannah, all born Commondale/Danby. Have a death registered Whitby 1868 states born 1794. 

Only thing I have found on IGI is in Sunderland.    Could be he is part of the family you are researching, but if I can't find his birth, I can't put it together.

Val ??? ???

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Val,
The good news is that the missing records appear under Parlington in the list of Durham places, and these are for 1794-1820, even though they are listed as 1762-1820. The bad news is that I've been through baptisms up to June 1798 (image 51) with no trace of any Jimmison or similar.  I'll press on in case it was a late baptism, because the Church is not exactly on their doorstep, but I'm wondering if Thomas, being their first child, might have been baptised in the Parish of one of the parents family, which would be Brancepeth or possibly Winston/Staindrop.
I live in Darlington so can easily check those out as well. ;D ;D
Regards,
Colin

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 11:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Offline origins

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 11:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

I'll have another go!!!     Would be great if you can come up with the birth.  I am not familiar with the parishes and towns in Durham.  I am in contact with someone with a tree on Ancestry and they also have Thomas Jemmison in their tree.  So if you are able to find anything I can pass it onto him. Good luck with your searching.

Regards Val

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,
  I am not familiar with the parishes and towns in Durham. 

Regards Val

Hi Val,
See http://www.durham.gov.uk/recordoffice/dro.nsf/vwebplaces
Durham Church of England Parishes Place Names Index
.....'Place Names Index' can help you to determine which Church of England parish a County Durham place/settlement was situated in, at any given date.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk