Author Topic: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.  (Read 61164 times)

Offline buddytod

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wokingham Memories It Shall Be.
« Reply #90 on: Wednesday 03 February 21 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Joyce341, yes, I do remember Auntie Jean! I also remember the old black car (Austin I think). Strange how some memories came back....I seem to recall that alot of the crockery was green and having an afternoon 'nap' with sunlight streaming through the curtains although it may be that some of the memories are a little confused as my sister and I spent time in a 'home' in Wallingford (Sinodin) and also Redroofs in maidenhead. The most significant memory I have of Murray though was my Dad bringing me a toy Crossbow purchased from Woolworths. They were obviously very popular and I am sure a couple of the other boys at the home had one. About 5 years ago I managed to find one on Ebay, complete with original box and gosh, did that bring back the memories!

Offline joyce341

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Dad aged two in 1891
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 04 February 21 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Buddytodd

Like you i had been in three homes by age of eight so is confusing  I dont think you would have had a afternnon nap here as we were older children i did apply for my records but sadly they had been destroyed bar one small piece of paper,auntie Jean had moved with us from Oakfoelds in 1956
on searching with Reading Archives i did find that there had been a Murray House built in Oxford Rd in 1912 number 48 our Murray house was 30 so presume original building knocked down and a new place allocated sad that so little information kept of these homes who were a large part of manny childrens lives.
Hickman,Cleobury Mortimer,Shropshire/Staffordshire, Parkes,Dudley,Beddoes Lindridge,Cleobury Mortimer,
Asker,Snettisham,Norfolk,Newby Howe,Kensington,SuffolkLawrence,Greenwich,Bermondsey.Putman,Kensington,Hertfordshire.

Offline HughC

• RootsChat Veteran
  • et patribus et posteritati
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 05 February 21 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Interesting to come across this thread.  I lived in Binfield in the 70s, initially working in Bracknell and later for a short time in a small office in Broad Street, Wokingham.  Quite often shopped at Waitrose: I can remember writing a cheque for £5 for a week's groceries for two!

I would never have recognized the photo as Bracknell High Street.  I drove along it and parked outside the post office not long before they made most of the streets pedestrian precincts (and perversely opened to traffic at least one that had previously been for pedestrians only).  The weekly market was useful: when the traders were packing up at the end of the day they would be almost giving the stuff away.  I once bought a whole case of grapes at a ridiculously low price and trod them in the bath (having first washed my feet, of course).  It was not one of my more successful wines.

Does anyone else remember Con Williamson's farm at Warfield, with a sign at the end of the drive saying "ten weak old chickens for sale" [or similar wording]?  He was an educated man: that was his sense of humour.
Bagwell of Kilmore & Lisronagh, Co. Tipperary;  Beatty from Enniskillen;  Brown from Preston, Lancs.;  Burke of Ballydugan, Co. Galway;  Casement in the IoM and Co. Antrim;  Davison of Knockboy, Broughshane;  Frobisher;  Guillemard;  Harrison in Co. Antrim and Dublin;  Jones around Burton Pedwardine, Lincs.;  Lindesay of Loughry;  Newcomen of Camlagh, Co. Roscommon;  Shield;  Watson from Kidderminster;  Wilkinson from Leeds