Author Topic: Charlwood Park  (Read 21490 times)

Offline AEJordan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charlwood Park
« Reply #18 on: Friday 02 January 09 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I am now able to answer my own question about Charlwood Manor and Charlwood Park.

The DOMESTIC BUILDINGS RESEARCH GROUP (SURREY) has a list of Charlwood buildings with dates.

http://www.dbrg.org.uk/SURREY/charlwood.html

However, I am uncertain where these sites are in the village and I would be grateful for any help in locating any remaining building, or evidence of a building. I would like to mount an expedition to Charlwood and Capel in the spring or summer (depending on funds) in order to photograph the area and I am quite happy to share the results with anyone on this list.

Happy New Year
AE
Jordan; Jones; Wood; Longhurst; Truelove; Booker; Langley

Offline erica lyn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 02 January 09 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello AE,

As the Domestic Buildings list you have contains grid references for each property, I would suggest the easiest thing to do would be to use the ordnance survey website and enter the grid references in the search field.

http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm

Local history information for Charlwood (books, maps, parish registers, etc.) is held at Horley Local History Centre.

www.surreycc.gov.uk/horleylocalhistory

Regards,
Claire
VALLER - Hampshire/Surrey; MONK - Surrey

Offline AEJordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 02 January 09 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant - an excellent link for the map - many thanks.

AE

Offline Redbaron2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charlwood Park, (Nutley dean)
« Reply #21 on: Monday 05 January 09 18:11 GMT (UK) »
 :) 8) Hi hope you all had a nice xmas and the new year will be better than the last,I am chasing "Sharp " ancesters,from Charlwood,Has anyone got any info,details,photos,on "Nutley Dean" farm,hopefully yours Brian

Offline parklife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks

I used to live at Charlwood Park from 1954 to around 1966. It was the big white house as someone has described here. During my time there the owner (not sure if he might of rented) the property was a Mr Ashpool who ran a clothing business from the house with the brand name Ashpool and Twiddy. My father used to work for him in the business as well as being gardner and chauffer. Mr Ashpool had two sons named Jonathan and Jeremy.

We lived in one end of the house (say the west wing) and another person also working for Mr Ashpool lived in the other end (say the east wing). My mother used to cater for the family when they had dinner parties etc. Mr Ashpool was an ardent cricket fan and used to follow England religiously. We used to have famous cricketers visit and as a young lad I was taught to play cricket by, I recall, Colin Cowdrey and David Sheppard who became the Bishop of Liverpool.

The house was approached by two driveways, one from the Povey Cross end and the other from Horley Road near Farmfield drive. Keepers Cottage was on the driveay from Povey Cross and there was another smaller cottage just at that entrance.  I think not long before we moved there there was still a racecourse or greyhound track in the road from Povey Cross. That was soon closed down as the airport was developed.

The house itelf was surrounded by woods except for the rear where there was an open outlook over fields to the airport and I remember standing on the balcony to see the first jet airliner coming in to land. The other buildings within the site were greenhouses, a barn and garaging for 8 or 9 cars. I recall well the kitchen garden my farther looked after along with orchard of apple and pear trees - yum yum!

At one time the local hunt used to meet at the house and we would be invaded by riders in all their finery with dogs yapping at their heels.

There was a large cellar and again I remember there were often many rabbits and pheasants or partridges hanging just being readied for the pot.

The farm, approached from the Horley Road drive entrance, was run by a Mr Orial (not the right spelling perhaps but phonetically correct) and he would often be out in the field with his 12 bore, shooting game. There was a small pond in one of his fields were I used to spend most of my school holidays and weekends fishing for carp or tench. I had friends that lived at Farmfield cottages but sadly cannot remember names.

I was a wonderful place to live at the time and it is a real shame it was demolished to make way for the airport expansion.

Well thta's my trip down memory lane - I might have some pictures tucked away if anyone would be interested - let me know - hope this might have been of interest

Offline AEJordan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 13:45 GMT (UK) »
That's a wonderful vision of Charlwood, thank you very much. If you do have any photographs of the building I would be very interested.

Thank you,

AEJordan

Offline pdadme

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 14:22 GMT (UK) »
You mention 2 cottages at the entrance. Would you recall if one of them would have been known as the Gardeners Cottage?
My great grandfather George Massey Saunders was the gardener at Charlwood Park from at least 1881 to c1893.
His address is given in 1871 as "Road leading to Red Hill, Horley", and his occupation is Gardener, as was his father John Saunders at the same address.
In 1881 George is "gardener domestic" at "Park Gardens, Charlwood", and in 1891 he is at "Gardener's cottage, Charlwood Park", though by 1901 he has moved to Bushey, Herts, near where I live.
John and his two younger sons are all gardeners (one unemployed) at Horley Lodge a little way up the road from Horley. By 1891 John is still a gardener at "Ellmers Land, Horley Lodge, Horley" and by 1901 he is a retired gardener at Cheshunt Rd, Horley.
I am sorry to go into so much detail, but I just wonder whether you know anything of Horley Lodge, and of the Gardeners Cottage at Charlwood Park. My Great Grandad was obviously there over half a century before you were there, but I would definitely be interested in any photos you may have.

Regards
Phil How

Offline parklife

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Well I have a picture of the house and also a fudged googlemap of where I think it would have been but unfortunately I don't get the option to attach images so need to work out how

Sorry but I can not recall the name Gardners Cottage but if you try this link and then scan down for Charlwood Park there is a lot of detail regarding a sale of the estate

http://www5.surreycc.gov.uk/dtcgi/nph-dtweb.exe?DTx=d&DTnp=4&DTnd=39&DTDB=DB03&DTHD=SurreyNoOrderBasicDisplay.htm&DTHE=Error.htm&DTHL=SurreyNoOrderBasicList.htm&DTHS=Search.htm&DTNT=10&DTRANK=Enable&DTQB1=springfield&DTQI1=main&DTQO1=and

Much more information seems to be on record at Surrey History Centre in Woking which, is near were I now live - when I get a day off next I will see if I can get in there and see what I can dig up

Offline Whyterabbit

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 May 10 13:23 BST (UK) »
Sorry for dragging this old topic up but i stumbled on it while doing some nostalgia searches

I grew up in this building and lived here from 1969 to 1980. My grandfather owned both houses Charlwood Park Farm House and Meadow Cottage (which was given to my parents
and has since been demolished for some idiot to park cars on Peter somebody or other)

When I lived here the big white house at the back was already in disrepair and when your a kid was ofcourse the scariest haunted house you could imagine but the dog disappeared up there for hour on end chasing rabbits

The farmer next doors name was Ivor and had an assistant called John Farthing who turfed me out of enough haystacks

They have totatlly ruined the countryside here by diverting the river mole and building huge fuel container type structures on the site of the demolished White House

Regarding the gardners cottage at the Povey Cross end , There was a guy that used to live there that had his own private plane that he sued to store in his garage

My grandfathers house is now a childrens nursery called The Farmhouse, Ive been there recently and have some vids and pictures but I guess you have to be careful nowadays walking around with a camera near to a school