Author Topic: Patrick BURKE  (Read 14362 times)

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick BURKE
« Reply #18 on: Friday 09 December 11 03:29 GMT (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/47296430?searchTerm=gledhill janet&searchLimits=l-title=The+West+Australian+%28Perth%2C...%7Ctitleid%3A30

in case you havent seen  it  Janet Gledhill's funeral notices

Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline Fourthdaughter

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 09 December 11 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and God bless.  No I had not seen these.  They mean a lot.  Janet Ellen's Death had a dreadful and profound effect on the family that is still being felt to this day. 

Thank you so much.  I shall pass it on to my sisters. 

Offline BKJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 02:04 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone and hello to fourthdaughter!
It looks like I have not been on this site for 3 years! Oh dear!
Obviously fourthdaughter you are related closely to me and possibly live in Perth.
Aunty Jean now lives in Uncle Digger's unit which is only up the road from where his elder brother Clarry used to live and where mum grew up. The house is still there on the corner of Swan Rd together with the duplex built on!
From what I understand, nana didn't want to look after your dad so he was put in those homes. Aunty Jean lived with my mum for a while, but ran away at around 12yrs. Obviously my nana was not a nurturing mother! (Certainly not by what my mum says!)
I believe that my papa (Clarry) used to meet up with your dad and his sisters at the local pub, The Leopoldo, as nana didn't want him to see them! Mum also never got to meet her paternal grandfather (Percival Fletcher - remember that Clarry was the eldest child of Janet and not a true Gledhill). I found out later that he had been living in Bicton until his death which unfortunately was only a fees years prior to my discovery. We have been able to contact a relation on that side, but although he did agree to meet with mum, he doesn't want to have further contact. It's such a shame!
Mum has given me quite a few photos and there are a few over east in Victoria of Janet and her family.
I would love to see the photos you have and compare. You are more than welcome to see mine and take any copies of you wish.
By the way, I just remember whilst in the middle if writing this, that mum met up with some of Janet's family members from Victoria around 2 years ago. Unfortunately I couldn't meet them. :-(
Take care and please get in touch with me. Mum is in close contact to Aunty Jean and sees her often, and now lives in Willagee. I live in East Vic Park.

Offline BKJ

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 02:09 BST (UK) »
 ??? Sorry, can't quite read the funeral notice. Writing is too small on my iPad!
Can anyone translate it for me! Thank you!  :-\

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 02:22 BST (UK) »
BKJ you may prefer to contact fourthdaughter with family information including information about living people,  by Personal Message instead of on the board of a public forum.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fourthdaughter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 04:10 BST (UK) »
Hi BKJ.  Your Mother is my first (half) cousin.  Her name begins with "W".  I met her once at my Father's funeral.  Aunty Jean is not fond of me apparently.  I think it was because I questioned why my father was not looked after as a child.  I really don't know.  the only photo's that I have are from an inlaw from the Bristow side.  It's tragic if that is the case about my Grand mother, because my father grieved for her for the rest of his life.  He was abused dreadfully by the so called christian brothers.  When he tried to escape from Bindoon his father tied him to the clothes line and beat him.  We have court documents of my grandmother who sent a letter to her first husband (fletcher) saying "Hope you die over there (in flanders), because I've met someone else" (presumably, my grandfather).  My sister and I were shocked.  Look, we just don't know???? How can this person be related to us?  Why was she grieved so much by the family if she was such a bad person.  I was informed that my father was taken off his father when my grandmother died because my GRANDFATHER WAS NOT LOOKING AFTER HIM.  I have studied the laws and public policies of the day and a father was never considered a suitable guardian.  The father never had any rights and even the father tried to fight the law they would just throw the father in jail.  And now to a subject that no one in the family is addressing; The darkness of our skin, particularly my father's.  At school we were told by the other kids that my Dad was a "Boong" or an "Abo".  When we asked Dad why his skin was so dark, we were told "Tell them we are Spanish Irish".  We can find heaps of Irish, but no Spanish.  The policies of the 1930's and 40's were brutal.  It may be that we are not in any way Indigenous.  But that would not have mattered.  They rounded up the (then called) "half castes", "quater castes" and the "quadroons".  They put them in institutions such as Bindoon and Clontarf where my father was sent.  We have looked into my fathers file (as he was made a ward of the state) and the department has destroyed all documents bar four, that paint my father as a bad child...he was only trying to escape from an intolerable situation.  Apparently the department has destroyed files when the truth becomes inconvenient or expensive.  I would very much like to know why my father was so dark, why some aunties and my sister are yellow and although I look fair skinned, I and many of my nephews and one niece can sit around in the sun all day and never burn and go as black as anything.  I wish someone would own up

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 04:23 BST (UK) »
Hi there Fourthdaughter,

May I support Cando's suggestion about using the Personal Message system that RChat offers.   It is an excellent way to discuss the issues you are raising.   Rootschat is a forum that is easily found via Google, and so it is a public forum, easily read by people who are not logged on to the forum.

The Personal Message system is NOT accessible by anyone except the sender and the person receiving the message.   It is an excellent way to communicate directly with each other, and at the same time, avoid making comments that everyone (including people who are not Rootschatters) can read.

Cheers,  JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
Hi  there
In case you  are  not aware of the personal  message system  that  you  can utilize under your profile  you  will see  two circles  the  one with  the green  on  it  is for Personal  Messages

As Majm  and  Cando have said  it would  be  better for you  to correspond  using this method

good look  with  your research

Jenn

When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au

Offline BKJ

• RootsChat Extra