Author Topic: Joseph Anthony Lawrie born 1850 - where was he from then till 1871?  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Joseph Anthony Lawrie born 1850 - where was he from then till 1871?
« on: Monday 18 August 08 12:42 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I posted the massage below on the 'Durham' board yesterday.  One reply only so far, to confirm that a Joseph Lowrie (note spelling) married an Elizabeth Lonsdale as I'd been advised.  This is my man, as documentation and evidence on the way supports this.

Can anyone see him in Sotland between 1850 and 1871?

"Hello

I was advised today that Joseph Anthony Lawrie who was born in Eckford in Roxburghshire in 1850 married an Elizabeth Lonsdale (nee Nicholson a widow), at Stockton Co.  Durham in 1871, where they remained until they died. they had seven children. 

My dilemma.   According to my informant, the father was the Eckford Schoolmaster Henry Richardson Lawrie and the mother his wife Jane Thomson.

Besides being the headmaster in Eckford, Henry was also the Registrar, Inspector of the Poor and Collector of Poor and Sick rates as well as being a Session Clerk.

I was aware of 6 children born to Jane who died in 1850.  I've been advised that Joseph Anthony Lawrie and a sister Ann were born in 1850.  it would appear that mother and Josephs twin died.

Josephs upbringing is shrouded in mystery until his appearance when he married. I cannot find him registered in Scotland and he does not appear in the '51, 61, 71 census records.  He does not appear on census records with his siblings in Scotland.  (HR Lawrie had a further 6 children to his second wife Ann Bennet).

It would appear that his grief stricken father did not register him and placed him with ? distant relatives - possibly in England.

Any help in tracing his movements between 1850 and 1871 would be greatly appreciated.  His grandfather - Thomas Laurie/Lawrie - had connections with Northumberland -but it is unknown what they were.   Please see the attached link.

(the pm clarified the source which was transcription work, but gave no further clues to the 'English' connection - in fact it was suggested that Thomas Lawrie was probably Scottish).

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,321099.msg2018542.html#msg2018542

Thanks very much.  Regards,   Steve :O)