Author Topic: Regiments in New Barracks, Fermoy,County Cork,1885.  (Read 20310 times)

Offline Chrissy13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Regiments in New Barracks, Fermoy,County Cork,1885.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 February 09 01:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patrick,

I have searched all Armed Forces Marriages from 1880-1885 and would have thought that it would have been recorded there but no luck, sorry.

I also checked all the marine, consular and army birth lists and found no births for Wigglesworths for the period 1882 - 1900.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

Tulip
Researching Hulse, Sleigh, Parr, Pye, (Cheshire)
Researching Sayce, Sleigh/Sleath (Shropshire)
Researching Cannell, Curphey, Leyland, Kelly (IOM)
Researching Smith, Vickery (Cork and Bantry, Co Cork, Ireland)

Offline alanpat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 March 09 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi..

This is my first posting on this forum and hoping it will knock down some brick walls for me

However the 2nd Batt (I think) KOSB  were in Fermoy barracks in 1881 & 1882 as both my maternal grandparents were borne there. Children of Borderers.

I hope this is of interest
paterson patterson wilson connolly

Offline pencraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 20 July 09 19:00 BST (UK) »
WOW ! ITS JULY 19 2009. I was surprised to find this site. In 1837 my ancestor Sgt. Nathaniel Gunn was stationed at Fermoy as a member of the 93rd Highland Regiment of Foot.  He enlisted aged 17 at Truro. He was born at Bower, Caithness in 1808 and was literate.  he married a Welsh girl named Annie at the big church then in Fermoy, 1837 so records there - some of which I found on webs. Annie was born at Llanfaisisgaer, N. Wales.  Suggested here is she may have been daughter of a serving Welsh soldier at Fermoy. Annie and Nath' had a daughter born 1838 and named her Annie Jane Gunn. That year -then corporal Gunn was sent to the West Indies station, likely Barbados etc. for seven years. The 1840's sees him and his wife and child in a Scottish Castle barracks, and he is retired by 1852 from Edinburgh Castle- a Chelsea Pensioner "at large".. He lived and ran a farm in Caernarfonshire, a good retirement. I have a copy of a photo of him at this stage !!and he looks great!

Offline pencraig

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 20 July 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
If anyone has a clue as to what Regiments were at Fermoy in circa 1837 I'd love to know, and see who my ancestor Sgt. Nathaniel Gunn, 93rd Highland Rgt of Foot was about with ? By 1850 I believe the 93rd may have had a name change, "Sutherland Highlanders" by then and eventually the A&G Highlanders. Bear in mind that big church in old Fermoy has records on webs. "Maiden names" are not mentioned, as if woment then and there, were 'property'. Troops deployed in 1815'ish from Fermoy to the Battle of Waterloo. Fermoy barracks was built after a scary invasion of Napoleon's forces onto NW Ireland.

Offline mikeonline

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 15:54 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather, John Condon, enlisted in the 46th Regiment  of Foot at Clonmel in Jan 1859. The Regiment at the time were serving in India.

I have learned from the DCLI (Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry) Museum that ' regiments serving overseas left a small party behind to drum up recruits.  These recruits were then despatched to “Depot Battalions”.   There were in 1859 twenty-three of these establishments, nine of which were exclusively dedicated to train recruits for drafting to regiments in India. These included the 19th Battalion at Fermoy. Assuming that a recruit would be sent to the nearest depot battalion, John Condon is likely to have carried out his recruit training at Fermoy'.

Does anyone have any more info on this and are there likely to be any records existing of recruits undergoing training at Fermoy?

Offline tapperglo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 September 17 19:22 BST (UK) »
My Gt. Grandfather was also in Fermoy.  He married in the Church on 04/08/1874 and they left soon after for India.  His name was Edis Beavers and her name Margaret Barry.  She was a local girl, as far as I can tell, born in Fermoy.  He was in the Royal Artillery (born in Gibraltar) joining in 1888 and was promoted to Sgt. by 96 and posted to India in 97.  He is recorded as home from 88 to 97 but I cannot work out at what time in Fermoy.  Have loved reading about the barracks, so thanks to all you have commented on this. 

Offline Sean Rochford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a photograph of the 1st Royal Munster Fusiliers band stationed in Fermoy 1889.