Author Topic: 1841 Census - LILLEY  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Nica19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Isn't this fun!!!
    • View Profile
1841 Census - LILLEY
« on: Tuesday 19 August 08 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi
I would appreciate a look up in the 1841 census.  The name I am looking for is William Lilley, born Islington, (stMary's Parish) in 1835/36 I am sorry if that isn't enough info, I am not sure exactly what you need.  Thank you
Nica
Middlesbrough/NE ..Lilley/ Usher/Widdowfield
Middlesex. Lilley
Scotland and Ireland Reid/Ferris/Cameron/ Welsh
Ireland Kilhouley/ McGuire/Henderson/Murdoch/McDiarmid/Brannon

Offline Necromancer

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've updated my profile ......
    • View Profile
Re: Lilley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 11:40 BST (UK) »
theres a few candidates, but none actually in Islington .... any other checking points ?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nica19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Isn't this fun!!!
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 Census - LILLEY
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 13:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Not really, I don't know a great deal about his early life.  He was on the 1881 Census as being born in Islington and being 46.  I found out he had been baptised in the Parish of St Mary Islington.   He ended up in Middlesbrough where my grandad was born.
A cousin traced his father as being William and his mother as Martha Smith but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of that fact so............... it is a bit 'iffy' to use it as I don't know where her info came from.
ps sorry if I posted in the wrong place!!!
Nica
Middlesex. Lilley

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 06:06 BST (UK) »
 It may be of no help to you but St Matthew's, Bethnal Green, has some Lilleys. early 1800's :)
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.

Offline roma

• RootsChat Senior
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 07:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Nica
As you have the 1881 Census you can see his wife is Martha Born Scarborough and he has a stepson
Robert TANN born about 1860 Scarborough, TANN must have been Martha's surname.

There is this Marriage William LILLEY and Martha TANN Mar 1865 Scarborough 9d 484

I suggest you order the certificate and find out who William's father was.

Regards
Robert

Offline Nica19

• RootsChat Extra
  • Isn't this fun!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 August 08 09:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you Roma and Griz
Yes, I have that info Roma and the marriage certificate.  She was widowed at the age of 21 with two young boys, her husband was a fisherman.  William's father was also named William, he was listed as deceased on their certificate.  His occupation was Seaman.  William is also shown as a Seaman (Merchant Services)  In February 1865 William is 29years old.
I am pretty certain that there is a branch of 'my' Lilleys in London cos I have found some who carry the family christian names ( I know that isn't definite but it is a starting point).

The Lilleys that my cousin found, the father was listed as a dairyman, and I am not sure if he would go from being a dairyman to being a sailor???? anyone got any ideas on that????
Thanks for your help.
Nica xxx
Middlesex. Lilley

Offline griz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 August 08 01:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Nica,
 it  does seems quite an unlikely change in occupations doesn't it?  But it might have happened. Good hunting, (Yes it is fun! :-))
Boyle, Co. Leitrim  Boyle, Co. Tyrone, Shaughnessy, Co. Limerick, and  Manchester, UK.  Pope, Cheshire. Chadwick, Speke, Lancs.  Frankish, Hunmanby, Yorks.  Brindley, Audley, Staffs and  Middlesex.