Author Topic: were is corraclevin  (Read 10763 times)

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A bit of old Blarney castle
    • View Profile
were is corraclevin
« on: Tuesday 19 August 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
 Can anyone help I have a 1891 marriage  between a michael mcCarthy aged 42 and mary ellen byrne aged 27  in the registration district of roscrea, michael was a constable and living in a place called CORRACLEVIN is there any one with information as to were the place is and what michael was doing there. police station/barracks?
 heres hoping ...........mick
Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.
Atkinson...N-Yorks.    Irvine... Sothern England
Cook...glouc/shire.    Alderton... Thingoe/Suffolk

Offline sarahsean

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: were is corraclevin
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 15:06 BST (UK) »
Corraclevin is on the outskirts of Roscrea now in Tipperary on the Offaly/Tipperary border . It is a large enough town today, so probably was large enough in 1891 to have its own policeman.

Hope this helps
Sarah
Dowding
Hall
Butt

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi sarah
 That was promp, At least I now know were it is and can aim a bit more precise
 when hunting out my michael in the irish census and parish records, thanks again...........mick

Pringle..N-yorks.  Swann..Nthamptonshire. Newman..Wilts.  Whites...Surrey/london.  Filce..London/surrey.  McCarthy...Co Cork Eire.

Offline sarahsean

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 15:53 BST (UK) »
I know what it`s like when waiting for a reply on something you want people to be quick. Good luck with the hunt i know the Irish records aren`t the easiest to find.
Sarah
Dowding
Hall
Butt

Offline coolestown1562

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 18:57 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Coraclevin did have its own police station in the 1890s.I have a reference to a Sergent Frank Cronin RIC being transferred there in 1893.

There is a comprehensive book published a few years ago on the Royal Irish Constabluary (RIC) might be sometihing in it that could lead elsewhere.

Coolestown1562

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 08 20:09 BST (UK) »
 Thanks i'll look into that you can never have to much info.
 regards ...................mick

Offline happycamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 September 08 07:32 BST (UK) »
Re: "Corraclevin"

I'm new to this media and apologise if i'm breaking in inappropriately.

However, I have an old bible which belonged to my Great, Great grandmother, whom I know little about . She has written in the front of the book, that she was born at Corraclevin farm, Dunkerrin Kings County on the 23rd December 1834.

She apparently arrived in Australia as a young single person and I know of her marrying
near Melbourne.

Could anyone advise me whether its possible from the little I know to learn more of her origins in Ireland or if she left family members behind.

ps. I had trouble reading her hand writing and was excited to recognise Corraclevin from your previous posts

Regards

happycamper

Offline happycamper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 September 08 07:44 BST (UK) »
Sorry
It's Old "Happy" again.

In my excitement to get started in this I forgot to give the lady's name. I don't know if it is relevant but It may prompt a lead from somebody.

My Great, Great Grandmother was "Honora Shea" .

Regards

Happycamper

Offline mickmack1942

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 08 09:04 BST (UK) »
 Thanks to all who have replied to my request, My ancester who was in the RIC in the late 1800's must have moved about while in the police I have references to Burr,Limerick,Cork city and eastern region Cork .Gurteen, Kinnerty, Waterford, His police record is not a lot of use either but alas with the name like Michael McCarthy is so common placing him in any particular location where he grew up, I think will be nye impossible with out having a holiday in Ireland and spending all day in the local record offices, I don't think my wife let me the alternative is to throw money at it....(yuk, no, no, nooo,) with no idea if they would find anything, I understand that the irish census will be on line some time in the near future prehaps I have that wrong, But anyway thanks to all and if you do come across a Michael in your own searching it may be of no use but you never know I would like to hear off him...................