Author Topic: Henry SMITH and Dinah Ellen GRAY  (Read 36944 times)

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry SMITH and Dinah Ellen GRAY
« Reply #135 on: Monday 15 June 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
Well now I know how you connect up!! would love to know more about your family - I eventually lost track of that Abraham Gray. Now my family are all over these boards and elsewhere on the net, but Ill happily go over some of it again if you like!

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: Monday 15 June 09 19:42 BST (UK) »
ah now one thing I might be able to help with is your Martha Smith, who married Abraham, s/o Christopher Gray.

She was also known as Mercy Smith and was the daughter of Thomas Smith and Mary Brown. They were also the parents of Deliah Smith who married Christopher Grays son Samuel.

I have Mary (Brown) Smiths orbituary and amongst the family listed are:

"Mr & Mrs A Gray dtr & son in law, Easton Stamford"

She died in Horncastle in 1915.

Now Thomas Smith her hubby died in 1897 at Horncastle, and I believe he was the brother of Maria Smith who married Christopher Gray.

And if you think its bad so far, Thomas and Mary also had a daughter Jane, who also married one of Christophers sons, Francis Gray.

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 19:25 BST (UK) »
Yes that Abraham was my great great grandfather, Henry, his son, was my Nan's dad, and my Dad's grandad. They were in Easton in 1911 according to the census, and in Digby in 1891, but cannot find them anywhere in 1881, or 1901. Abraham married Eveline Exton from Easton in 1915.
Thank you for the information on Maria and Martha, I feel as if I am just finding out who I am.
Debulah

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 19:29 BST (UK) »
As for the 'bad so far' bit, I've been sitting with paper and pencil, drawing trees that end up with big circles of them, so had guessed there were plenty of connections between the three families, Elliott, Smith and Gray - also a Bond thrown in for good measure sometimes too.
It's a wonder we haven't all got 6 fingers and toes, hee hee (sorry, LOL! bit old in the tooth for that one though, still have to translate it when daughter writes it in her emails/texts).
Deb

Offline Chezp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Debulah

Lovely to make contact.  Another piece in the jigsaw eh?
I'll go through what I have and get back to you.

You've got a head start with An65 on the case though - she's brilliant on the info, made everything make sense to me re Henry Smith and Dinah Ellen Gray and that isn't easy with the Smiths/Grays/Elliots etc. The families are so involved.

Sorry An65 - dont mean to embarrass you but credit where it's due... :)

Chezp

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 21:31 BST (UK) »
Back when I started tracing my fam history, 20 odd years ago, none of this existed. The medium for sharing was to write a book and deposit it in some archives, in the hope someone would read it. Who would have known back then that all this would be at our fingertips today?

ok Thomas Smith and Mary Brown

They were married at Wrawby by Brigg (Brigg itself didnt have a church then) 23.04.1849 he listed as s/o William Smith, and she d/o Thomas Brown.

Thomas died 11.09.1897 and Mary 14.03.1915 both were of Waring Row, Horncastle, and both interred in Horncastle Cem. She had broken her leg 3 weeks prior to her death.

Incidentally, William Smith and Ann Elliott lived their last days at Cagthorpe, Horncastle, and were buried there as well.

Anyway, Thomas & Mary had:

Deliah 1848 Ludborough d.1918 Boston, married (in 1871) Samuel Gray b.1848 Branston, d.1918 Boston - my 2xgrt grandparents. They lived their last days at Hospitalbridge Lane (Now Hospital Lane) Boston, and died one day apart, being buried together in Boston Cemetery (no stone exists).

Mercy/Martha b.1852 c.1853 at Theddlethorpe St Helens - although she also appears to have been bapt 1852 at Spilsby. Married Abraham Gray.

Mary Ann b.1854 Mavis Enderby married David Rollingson in 1872 at Horncastle. She may have had a daughter Rebecca Smith in 1871 at Horncastle.

Rebecca c.1856 Wainfleet married Godfrey Goddard in 1875, he died in 1877 and she thereafter married Thomas Elliott in 1892.

Jane b.cir 1860 married Francis Gray s/o Christopher.

Stephen b.cir 1863 d.1905 married Isabella Pierce

There is a John b.cir 1865 and a George b.cir 1868 about which I can find nothing else.

Then came Walter, bapt 1866 at Wainfleet, and again at Melton Ross, the same year.

Theresa b.cir 1875 Burringham, possibly the Theresa Smith c.1876 Bottesford, d/o John & Mary "Gipsies of Ashby" Its possible she is the Theresa who married Harry Brown and had a son Hezekiah in 1900 at Louth.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going back a generation to William & Ann, this is what we have uncovered thus far:

Despite Williams repeated claims to be from Coleorton Leics, no such baptism is on record.

Their children were:

Maria c.1817 Willoughby On The Wolds Notts d.1875 Heckington, m.1836 Rauceby, Christopher Gray

Joseph c.1819 Willoughby On The Wolds (n.o.i.)

Hannah c.1822 Navenby married Wisdom Smith

Mary b.cir 1824 claimed to be of Coleorton, married William Gray b.1825 Thurlby By Bourne, Lincs

Thomas b.cir 1826 claimed to be of Skillington, married Mary Brown (etc)

Edwin c.1829 Waddington (n.o.i.)

Ledday (f) c.1832 Threekingham (n.o.i.)

John c.1836 Potter Hanworth Lincs married Julia

Christopher c.1838 Potter Hanworth Lincs (n.o.i)

Matilda b.1841 Navenby married George Fairy m.1859 Horncastle.

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:14 BST (UK) »
To Chepz and An65,
Thank you both so much for your reply's, you are both obviously very devoted to the cause! must admit it does grip you when you start. I'm sure I can learn a thing or two from both of you. Will read through all that you've  said, and work it in to my own research. I'm sure this will be a long term connection we have.
Deb

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: Wednesday 17 June 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
Oh well, you are me relative after all :) !!!

As for Chez, I think we will turn out to be in the end, its just tying up all the loose ends....

Offline Debulah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: Friday 19 June 09 08:05 BST (UK) »
We do appear to be spread widely.
Speak to you later!
Deb