Author Topic: Henry SMITH and Dinah Ellen GRAY  (Read 36901 times)

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry SMITH and Dinah Ellen GRAY
« Reply #144 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:38 BST (UK) »
Bethania and James Gray only just found out aka / mobbs were my 3xgreat grandparents there children were eliace twins cornelious and righteous and Moses eliace and righteous married sisters Amelia and sage hurn /heron xxx

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: Saturday 03 August 13 21:14 BST (UK) »
regarding polygamy:

three of the daughters of No Name Heron - Millia, Eliza and Uri demonstrate this:
Millia married Pyramus Gray and stayed with him for life.
Eliza married first Jack (John Budd) Gray (brother of Pyramus) and later Oseri Gray his cousin.
Uri married first the same Jack Gray and later Leonard Printall.

Jack (John Budd) Gray was married many times, to Uri and Eliza, and also to Maria Boswell AND her daughter Harriet Williams, and lived out his days after transportation with one Frances Dowlen.
is the Pyramus Gray your talking about use the name eliace ? As Amelia heron daughter of Edmund was my great great granny but is far as I know her husband was eliace Gray ?

Offline Alexis Sally

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: Saturday 10 August 13 09:59 BST (UK) »
PS another source gives Charlotte as w/o Matthew Smith and she is a Boiling/Boyling/Boylen.

IGI shows up Charlotte Boylen, d/o George & Franette c.26.05.1811 Eagle Lincs.
This makes her d/o George Boyling who married Tranette/Franette/Trinity Boswell, and GEORGE later marrying Joyce Tansey/Tanzy/Tansy.

George and Joyce settled at Nettleham Lincs, he dying in 1873 and she in 1885. George is a presumed (and reputed) son of Caesar Boyling.

Caesar Boyling (var) married 1 Mary Royston 1768 Boston Lincs and 2 Sarah Smith 1780 Wrawby (by Brigg) Lincs.

Caesar known to have had by Mary:

Sam (1769 Boston) Tom (1775 Coventry) Ambrose (1777) Coventry and by Sarah:

John b.cir 1781 Wolverhampton and Sarah c.1784 Spalding who married Zachariah Boswell in 1809 Kirton In Lindsay.

By Joyce Tansey George is known to have had Salome Ellen Boyling c.1823 Scampton Lin who married William Gray c.1822 Ancaster s/o Wm Gray who married Tabitha Smith.
did William and Salome have a son eliace because Williams had so many wives I can't keep up with him lol

Offline Seed130

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: Friday 16 January 15 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have just joined after reading this thread and am wondering if anyone can help please.   I believe that Henry Smith had another younger brother call Albert/Alfred Smith b. 1847 in potentially Barrowby,  Eagle, Welby or Harrowby Lincs.  This would make him the youngest child of Bathwell and Charlotte  Smith. 

At his first marriage (as Albert) to Mary Ann Betsy Donson in Navenby on 24/6/1866 his father is listed as Barthold Smith and at his second marriage to Anne Maria Tindall (just down the road in Boothby Graffoe) on 18/10/1875 his father is listed as Bathwell Smith. 

We know from the 1861 census that Bartholomew Smith (aka Bathwell etc) was in Bassingham and although Alfred/Albert is not listed as one of his children, there is an Alfred Smith listed as a Carter at the Chequers Pub where the publican is a Patchett (a name which is also in this string) in Eagle (Bassingham is between Eagle and Navenby).  There were two Millicent's living at the pub (wife and daughter of Patchett) and Albert Smith names one of his daughters Millicent so this could be him.

Albert appears to have given up the Romany lifestyle after his first marriage when he settled in Navenby as a farm labourer (where Barthwell Smith was buried on 25 Nov 1861).  He is on the 1871 census there as Alfred. My great grandfather Charles Abram Smith was born in Boothby Graffoe in 1880.  Then Anne Marie and Albert Smith appear on the 1881 census where they settled in Pointon where he appears again in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census' before his death in 1933 in Bourne which covers Pointon.  Pointon is one village away from Billingborough which also appears in this thread as a place visited by the Smith/Gray/Elliot families.

Also does anyone know anymore about the parents of Bathwell and/or Charlotte?

Thanks!

This information from Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: Sunday 25 January 15 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have just joined after reading this thread and am wondering if anyone can help please.   I believe that Henry Smith had another younger brother call Albert/Alfred Smith b. 1847 in potentially Barrowby,  Eagle, Welby or Harrowby Lincs.  This would make him the youngest child of Bathwell and Charlotte  Smith. 

At his first marriage (as Albert) to Mary Ann Betsy Donson in Navenby on 24/6/1866 his father is listed as Barthold Smith and at his second marriage to Anne Maria Tindall (just down the road in Boothby Graffoe) on 18/10/1875 his father is listed as Bathwell Smith. 

We know from the 1861 census that Bartholomew Smith (aka Bathwell etc) was in Bassingham and although Alfred/Albert is not listed as one of his children, there is an Alfred Smith listed as a Carter at the Chequers Pub where the publican is a Patchett (a name which is also in this string) in Eagle (Bassingham is between Eagle and Navenby).  There were two Millicent's living at the pub (wife and daughter of Patchett) and Albert Smith names one of his daughters Millicent so this could be him.

Albert appears to have given up the Romany lifestyle after his first marriage when he settled in Navenby as a farm labourer (where Barthwell Smith was buried on 25 Nov 1861).  He is on the 1871 census there as Alfred. My great grandfather Charles Abram Smith was born in Boothby Graffoe in 1880.  Then Anne Marie and Albert Smith appear on the 1881 census where they settled in Pointon where he appears again in the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census' before his death in 1933 in Bourne which covers Pointon.  Pointon is one village away from Billingborough which also appears in this thread as a place visited by the Smith/Gray/Elliot families.

Also does anyone know anymore about the parents of Bathwell and/or Charlotte?

Thanks!

This information from Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

yes have same details as you regarding Albert. As for Bathwells parents, Thomas and Nancy were their names given at his baptism in 1795 at Cold Higham, Northants. His sister Brownetta was baptised in the same place in 1794.