Author Topic: Henry SMITH and Dinah Ellen GRAY  (Read 36894 times)

Offline Chezp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Henry SMITH and Dinah Ellen GRAY
« on: Tuesday 19 August 08 20:28 BST (UK) »
Hi,   I'm new to forums so bear with me please...

I'm looking for any information on my great great grandfather Henry SMITH who married Dinah Ellen GRAY.  Henry was born 1842 and died 1882 aged 40. He is buried at Kyme, Lincolnshire. I understand Dinah remarried Francis Elliott after Henry died.  I have seen a bit on Dinah's family discussed on this site but am lost with Henry so thought I'd take the plunge and ask for help.

I might be on the wrong track but I think he might be the brother of Christopher, Sarah and Harriott (aka Trainette ?) SMITH who are the children of Bathwell and Charlotte SMITH. Can anyone help? I know in the census Henry's son, my great grandad Frederick Smith, was a nephew in the household of Abraham and Hariett Gray of North Kyme.

Thanks
Chezp

Offline Chezp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Henry SMITH and Dinah Ellen GRAY
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 August 08 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi
If it helps anyone place the family (again any help gratefully received as I've been going round in circles trying to find them, you'll see the gaps...) the children of Henry and Dinah Ellen SMITH are:

Frederick 1862 Horncastle m Annie LUESBY b Donnington (my gt grandparents later lived Great Hale, nr Sleaford)
Barthwell/Bartholomew 1867 Belton Forest (m) Eliza Ann THURLBY . He was known as Uncle Barthy to my grandmother and her sisters and he died 1923 at Donington but that's all I know of him.
Charlotte 1868 Overton, Derby m ?
Constance 1871 Stamford m ?
Christopher 1874 North Hykeham m ?
Harriet 1877 Lincoln m Herbert HAND
Thomas 1880 North HYkeham m ?

I have my gt grandfather's obituary report of 1928 and it mentions Gray cousins at Metheringham etc but only by their initials. As I mentioned before Gt Grandad Fred was a nephew of Abraham and Harriet Gray of Kyme. His younger brother Christopher is on the 1891 census as nephew of horse dealer John Gray and wife Mary living North Kyme who I believe is Abraham's older brother.  There is also a niece Clara Carter.

I'm getting  a little confused here. I can't find Henry's birth or marriage but I am thinking maybe Henry SMITH must have had the sister Harriet /Trainette (d/o Bathwell & Charlotte Smith)  b1839 Quarrington married to Abraham Gray and another sister Mary Ann b1848 Eagle (d/o Barkwell and Charlotte Smith) married to John Gray? A fellow researcher told me Mary Ann Smith was married to John Coy of South Kyme  and then Thomas Carter but I'm wondering if this is a misread and John Coy is actually John Gray. It makes sense with the niece being Clara Carter . . . doesn't it????? ???

Among the 1928 mourners for Fred Smith I can't identify are:

Mr E Smith, Donington (brother);
Mrs W Smith (sister-in-law) Donington;
Mr H Smith (nephew) Donington,
Mrs W Gray (aunt) Donington;
Mr and Mrs J Gray (uncle and aunt) Metheringham;
Mr and Mrs G Harrison (cousin) North Kyme;
Mr G Gray, Mr Eric Gray and Mrs Winter of Great Hale.
Mr and Mrs T Gray

Any clues gratefully received....
Chezp

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 August 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Chezp

Welcome to Rootschat  ;D

In 1881 14 Newark Road, North Hyckeham
Frederick age 17 bn Horncastle
Bertie age 15 bn Belton in Forest
Christopher age 6 bn North Hyckeham
are all recorded as nephews of Isaac Robinson Head of the household unmarried age 44 bn Westborough, Lincoln
also in the house is a Sarah Smith, Housekeeper age 36 unmarried bn Skringinton

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 August 08 16:53 BST (UK) »
and 1881 Henry and Ellen are at 18 Dawsons Court, Lincoln

Henry age 33 bn Carlton
Ellen age 38 bn Sleaford
Charlotte age 13 bn Overton
Constance age 12 bn Stamford
Harriet age 4 bn Lincoln
Thomas age 1 bn North Hyckeham

BIVRI has a baptism for Christopher Smith parents Henry and Ellen at North Wyckeham 7th July 1874

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 August 08 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

In 1871
Tuxford, Nottinghamshire
Sleeping in Vans
Harry Smith mar head 29 travelling with tin ware b Eagle?
Ellen wife 29
Joseph brother in law 13
Fred 5
Barthwell 4 Belton Forest, Leicestershire
Charlotte 3
Constance 3months

/ next to them is the Grey family headed by Joseph and Mary Grey and children;
Ambrose 18
Alice 22
Collin? 16
Fred 11
Aaron 10
Betsy 8
Constance 6
Louis? son 5
Rainworth son 2

deb :)
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chezp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 August 08 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Rosie.

Thank you. You are are my first reply from RootsChat  :)

Right, so I've got the children right (except E Smith of Donington Fred's brother on the mourners, so maybe he was born later) and Henry does exist - I was beginning to think he didn't although I've seen his grave in front of Abraham and Harriet Gray's at Kyme.

Now you've raised the question who was uncle Isaac Robinson? I can't place him. As far as I know I don't have any Robinson link. Sarah Smith his housekeeper might be the Sarah daughter of Bathwell and Charlotte born Scredington (?? could that be Skringington?) who I am hoping, but have no proof,  is Henry's sister, but I don't know any link to Isaac Robinson.  

Henry's got to belong to someone. Do you think he was known under another name? I don't have any positive link to Bathwell apart from family hearsay and unfortunately those who could help me have now passed away. I know my great aunt showed me her grandfather Henry's grave at Kyme and pointed to the Gray graves nearby saying they were family. She mentioned gt grandad  Bathwell and it stuck with me but...
Thank you again.
Chezp

Offline Chezp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 August 08 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb.
Thank you.

Harry? Well it certainly looks like him doesn't it. Born Eagle now but the family is the same. But it does even out the age difference between Henry/Harry and Ellen. In 1881 census he is 33 she is 38 but this census ties in with them both being the same age and also the same 1842-1882 on his gravestone.

But Joseph Smith brother-in-law? Where's he come from?

Thanks again, this is great.

Chezp

Offline Chezp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 August 08 20:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosie,

Just realised on the 1881 census you sent me the three oldest boys Frederick(17) , Bertie (15)  and Christopher (6) are at one address with unknown "uncle Isaac Robinson" and the three girls, Charlotte (13), Constance,(12) Harriet(4)  and baby Thomas age 1 are with Henry and Ellen.

Just curious, do you think the boys were "sent away" to learn their trade? I mean Charlotte and Constance were inbetween Bertie and Christopher in age and yet they stayed with their parents. I know gt grandad Fred knew horses as he was eventually a stockman taking stud horses around local farms in the Gt Hale/Kyme/Heckington area.

If Henry was "travelling with tin ware" then Fred must have learnt his trade from someone. I don't know what occupations Fred's younger brothers had. If they are to do with horses then it might explain this. It will be interesting to find out.

Thank you
Chezp

Offline Chezp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 August 08 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Deb.

Yes, so Joseph and Mary Gray in vans next door to Harry/Ellen in Tuxford, Nottinghamshire In 1871. . .

Sleeping in Vans
Harry Smith mar head 29 travelling with tin ware b Eagle?
Ellen wife 29
Joseph brother in law 13
Fred 5
Barthwell 4 Belton Forest, Leicestershire
Charlotte 3
Constance 3months

/ next to them is the Grey family headed by Joseph and Mary Grey and children;
Ambrose 18
Alice 22
Collin? 16
Fred 11
Aaron 10
Betsy 8
Constance 6
Louis? son 5
Rainworth son 2

. . . might be Mr and Mrs J Gray who might be Fred's uncle and aunt living in Metheringham in 1928. I have just looked through my file and found a mention of Joseph Gray b1840 . If he is a brother of Abraham or John Gray then I think the pieces might be starting to fit!

Fingers crossed
Chezp