Author Topic: Edward Bunbury Foster  (Read 4584 times)

Offline JenniferGrant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Bunbury Foster
« on: Wednesday 20 August 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
My great x 3 grandfather, Edward Bunbury Foster, was born in Carlow Ireland c. 1791, the son of Luke Foster and Margaret Tyrrell.  He married Ellen or Eleanor Jane Taber at St James Westminster Middlesex, England on 6 June 1813. They had a daughter Susannah, bap. 1814 in Westminster and a son Edward, b. 1815.  Edward Snr & his son Edward migrated to Australia aboard the 'Thompson', leaving England in October 1828 and arriving in Sydney in April 1829.  We don't know how and when Susannah arrived in Australia but on 20 August 1836 she married Charles Drew Street at St James' Church in Sydney.

I'm wondering if anyone knows where Luke & Margaret Foster are buried or anything else about them and their family.  Did they have any other children apart from Edward?

Cheers,

Jenny

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Edward Bunbury Foster
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 October 08 02:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Jenny,

There are several items which need to be established when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination ... this is important as it's the first step in finding church records.
2. Parish ... step two in your search. Once you've established the denomination you need to find the churches in that particular parish as well as making enquiries about the existence of records for the period you are researching. You should be able to find these details online ... make a note of where such records are held.
3. Townland ... this can range in size from an acre to several thousand acres. In a great many cases the name of a townland referred to an identifiable feature of the landscape ... properties may or may not have had names but it's unlikely they were numbered as they may have been in towns and cities when your ancestor's were living.

You'll have to rely on Church records when searching for Luke and Margaret as they were born prior to the introduction of Civil Registration in Ireland. This happened in 1864. Marriages of Non Catholic were registered from 1845 onwards.

Christopher

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 October 08 20:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Jenny,

I typed into my search engine; 'foster carlow 1791 watchmaker' and it brought up information about Bunbury Foster.

Jack

Offline op

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Jenny,
I noted the information about Foster. Eleanor Jane Taber's parents are James Taber [1762 Salisbury, Wilts-1805 Wesminster] and Charlotte Bell, from London.
My husband descends from Charlotte's brother, Henry.
Any info on the Bell name??
Thanks
op
usa

Offline JenniferGrant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 10 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi there.  I was so excited to read your post on Rootschat this morning as even though we (my cousin & I) knew James Taber's wife's name was Charlotte, we had no surname for her.  We did however have the following information, which you may already have.  We can now understand how Henry Bell Taber came by his middle name.

These are the offspring of James & Charlotte that we know about.  Perhaps you have more information you'd be willing to share such as a marriage record or the like for James & Charlotte, and/or a birth & death date for Charlotte.

Frederick William Taber b 24 Oct 1784 bapt 28 Nov 1784 Westminster parents James & Charlotte Taber
(he was the executor of James Taber's will, and from these records, it looks like the oldest son)

James Stanwix Taber b  15 Dec 1786 bap 16 Jan 1787 Westminster, parents James & Charlotte
Elizabeth Charlotte Taber b 1 Jun 1789 bapt 9 Aug 1789 Westminster, parents James & Charlotte
Eleanor Jane Taber b 17 Sep 1791 bp 14 Oct 1791 Westminster, parents James Taber & Charlotte Henry Bell Taber b 25 May 1793 bp 18 Jun 1793 Westminster parents James & Charlotte
Henry Bell Taber b 13 Dec 1794 bp 7 Jan 1795  Westminster, parents  James & Charlotte
Amelia Taber b 2 Aug 1797 bap 27 Aug 1797 Wesminster parents James & Charlotte

We also wonder whether you have a copy of Charlotte's brother's Will which may make mention of Charlotte who it appears ended her life in a lunatic assylum.  I'm sure this sounds a lot worse than it was as the poor lady maybe had Alzheimer's or something similar.  As yet we haven't been able to track down why James Taber Jnr as given Stanwix as his middle name.  Do you know why?

I'm sorry I can't give you any information on the Bells - we didn't know of their existence until your message arrived today.

My direct email address is: (*).  If you'd like to send me your email address or an Ancestry user name, I can send you an invitation to view my Ancestry tree on which I have all I know on this family.

My line of descent from James and Charlotte is:

Eleanor Jane Taber m Edward Bunbury Foster
Susannah Foster m Charles Drew Street
Snelling Francis Street m Mary Jane McGregor Stafford
Albert Victor Street m Vera Lillian Burdett Dixon
Frank Stafford Street m Joyce May Barnes
Me (Jennifer Street)

Looking forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards,
Jenny
Burradoo, NSW, Australia

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php