Author Topic: Wharton/ Worton  (Read 19653 times)

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wharton/ Worton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 March 10 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.

Yes I have all the information on Mary Hodson. Yes she is the one living with her daughter. It would be really interesting to find out about the Whartons. Pleaase keep in touch.

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline gidget37

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 April 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Elaine and Doran,
Mary and Hugh had a married daughter Alice b 1832,she married David Drinkwater abt 1856 these are the ones Hugh lived with until his death.??
Also a son George b 1835 after Thomas who was born in Ireland.
Sounds like the same family to me, if not sisters then cousins perhaps. Family names seem to match.
Did Alice Wharton marry in Manchester also? I wonder.
gidget  :)
Coleman, Sussex,Hodson Manchester,Tanner Gloucester, Dunbar Aberdeen Scotland.Porter Perth Scotland.Styles Aberdeen Scotland

Offline carlmem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Mary Wharton above is Mary Hayden married to Robert Wharton Old Leighlin, her father is master of Old Leighlin School. This is sometime in the 1880/90s and the family is Catholic. However in the 1790s Old Leighlin Cathedral
Church (COI) records 3 Baptisms are recorded to John/Elizabeth Wharton-Elizabeth 1797,George 1799 and Mary (Sept) 1802. The family are from Old Leighlin Co. Carlow. Mary & Robert are also from Old Leighlin but in the Catholic parish of Leighlinbridge.

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Carlmem

Thank you for your response!  :) It's starting to sound as though there may have been a few Whartons in Carlow around 1800. My Gx2 Grandmother Mary Wharton was born about 1802 so could be the one baptised Sep 1802 in the Cathedral,  Mary was definitely a practicing Catholic and all her children were baptised RC. She goes on to name a son George, as does her sister Alice. They both have sons called Thomas. So we might expect that there was a George or Thomas in the Wharton family. We have no children called Robert, Elizabeth or John in the Hodson family.

Carlmem was there any evidence of an Alice baptised about the same time?

We are also searching for a Jane O'Meara born about 1837, possibly in Carlow. She married William Hodson before 1858. We are unable to find a marriage in England for William and Jane, so wonder if they married in Ireland? Their first son Thomas Hodson is listed as born Ireland in 1858.
Thanks again. Any other iformation would be much appreciated. Are any of these parish records available electronically?
Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)

Offline carlmem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 23:12 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Lets us work backwards, your criteria is Mary Wharton/Worton from Co. Carlow.
1911 Irish Census has one Wharton family only living in Co. Carlow that is Robert's family.
1901 has one Wharton family living in Co. Carlow its the same family living in Old Leighlin with Mary/Marion National School Teacher living at that stage.
From 1880-1893 they had 7 sons born and baptised in St Lazerians Church Leighlinbridge.
I will try and find marriage of Robert/Mary and see if his parents are listed.
Griffith's Valuation c1852 (you can search for free, google it) has 3 holdings listed/leased to George Wharton two of which has the landlord named as Vigors. There may be 3 George's or maybe just one with 3 leasing's most likely the later.The valuation is not a census but records the head of every household in Ireland.
George Wharton, Old Leighlin  is the only Wharton from Co. Carlow listed on the Valuation 
1824/9 the Tithe Allotment book for Old Leighlin Parish Church has George Wharton or Wharton family paying money for renting of either Church land or for Tithe. The Vigors family provided Rectors of the parish for a long period c1770-1850. The Church of Ireland was a State Church until 1869 and there records were State Records the baptisms/marriages of anyone could be recorded in the registers if they choose to do so.   

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 02 September 10 09:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carlmem.  :) That's a lot of information, and I appreciate your work and thoughts. I will take a look at the Griffiths valuation. I did trawl this for O'Meara's so will now take alook at George.

Many Thanks

Elaine

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 September 10 11:32 BST (UK) »
Here's a link for Griffith's Valuation-
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 02 September 10 14:13 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks!
Elaine

Offline Madrid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 February 11 20:57 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information about Joseph Wharton b1816 (more or less) in Ireland. He was a tailor when he moved to London - maybe he was a tailor in Ireland,  although I have no idea when he moved to London.
Can anyone help?
Many thanks.