Author Topic: Marriage by licence - Newcastle  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage by licence - Newcastle
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 August 08 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies on this everyone. What I was hoping to find out was if British Origins are the only source of marriage licence allegations. All the information on Genuki directs me to the Vicar General website which in turn takes me to British Origins. The only problem is that they don't have any information on the licence I am after. Does this mean it's lost forever?

Jo.
Berley; Currie (Newry); Dagnall; Dean (Cheshire);  Embleton (Newcastle upon Tyne); Harris (Liverpool); Kelly (Cork);Marcleton (St Helens);McKnight (Kilbride);  Moore (Shropshire); Nicholson; Nott (Shropshire); Smith (Whitehaven); Souter (Cheshire); Travis (Ashton upon Mersey);

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 August 08 20:39 BST (UK) »
They were issued by ecclesiastical officials such as a Bishop or Archdeacon, so have you considered trying the archives of the relevant Diocese - in this case Durham?

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 August 08 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jen -I get a day out to the sunny east coast, then?  :)
Berley; Currie (Newry); Dagnall; Dean (Cheshire);  Embleton (Newcastle upon Tyne); Harris (Liverpool); Kelly (Cork);Marcleton (St Helens);McKnight (Kilbride);  Moore (Shropshire); Nicholson; Nott (Shropshire); Smith (Whitehaven); Souter (Cheshire); Travis (Ashton upon Mersey);

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 August 08 20:55 BST (UK) »
Many of Durham Cathedral's Archives are held by the University Library at Palace Green, and I have a vague memory of a friend getting marriage allegations from there. Why not email them pg.library@durham.ac.uk

In fact the more I think about it, the more sure I am that she got them from there, and that they sent her photocopies at a fairly reasonable price.

The other place to start enquiring would be Durham County Record Office record.office@durham.gov.uk
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jolt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 August 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
That's fab!! I'll have to make a journey to Durham at some point anyway, but I'd like to go equipped with as much info as possible. I suspect that these ancestors were from outside of the parish, as I can't find baptisms for them, so I'm hoping the allegations will tell me where they were from.

Thanks for your help,

Jo.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 August 08 22:55 BST (UK) »
A Guide to the contents of Durham University Library Archives and Special Collections
DDR/EJ/MLA: Marriage licence applications: chiefly ca.300 boxes of bonds and allegations submitted to the bishop of Durham in respect of applications to marry by licence (as opposed to banns) in his diocese, ca.1664-1995.
http://flambard.dur.ac.uk/dynaweb/guides/ascguide/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk