Author Topic: 16 Acre Plantation, Blaxton  (Read 13746 times)

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for GG Grandad... Must have GSH
    • View Profile
16 Acre Plantation, Blaxton
« on: Thursday 21 August 08 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
Flying Officer William Gordon Craig DFC, Royal Australian Air Force, was based at Croft, North Yorkshire, and sadly died on 8th April 1945 just 2 weeks before the Squadron's final operational mission. His death certificate states that the place of death was Sixteen Acre Plantation, Wroot Road, Blaxton, and the cause was 'Due to War Operations'. It was registered in the Don Valley sub-district of Bawtry and Tickhill.
I am trying to find out the circumstances of his death but Darlington local papers only had an announcement of his death.

Does anyone have access to Blaxton's local paper and be willing to check? It would be very much appreciated as I doubt if his service records (which are awaited) would have those details, and I think his squadron was one of the Royal Canadian Air Force, so mission reports are likely to be in Canada somewhere, but I haven't tried for those yet.

Regards,
Colin

Offline margeyorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 16 Acre Plantation, Blaxton
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 August 08 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
think if a report was in a newspaper it would be in a Doncaster one or maybe an Epworth newspaper l can check out the Doncaster ones hopefully next week.  There would have been 2 RAF bases near that area Finningley and Lindholme.  Wroot Road Blaxton is very close to both bases.  Finningley is now an airport and Lindholme a prison.  do you think that if he was stationed at Croft he might have been delivering a plane or supplies. My husband might know what planes flew out of both bases will get back to you
Pam
Johnson Farrar North Yorkshire
Brown Hibbert Alton Nottinghamshire
Burton Booth Lancashire
Butterfield Stainthorpe West Yorkshire
Bell Derbyshire

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 August 08 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam,
Thanks very much for the offer to check the papers, it's very much appreciated. I saw that Finningley was near to Wroot Rd. and wondered if it might have been a domestic flight between bases, but as far as I can tell, he flew Halifax and Lancaster bombers so perhaps that would be unlikely.

Regards,
Colin

Offline margeyorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 August 08 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
have you got access to a map that has road numbers on it if so Lindholme RAF base is a few miles down the road from finningley at the side of the A614 which goes to a place called Thorne this base would have stretched as far as Wroot itself.  both bases were used during the war and l do know that planes were moved from base to base.  Will ask my husband when he gets in if he knows what planes were based there sure l should be able to find out for you.   RAF Lindhlome closed quite a few years ago RAF Finningley more recently before been turned into a commercial Airport.  Croft is now used as a racing circuit.
Pam
Burton Booth Lancashire
Bell Derbyshire

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 August 08 08:39 BST (UK) »
HI

Did your man marry and leave a wife behind?

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline margeyorkshire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 August 08 08:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin
try this for RAF Lindholme www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/s13.html you will need to use this link as site is under construction and its the only way l found to get access.
For Finingley try www.bbc.co.uk/southyorksire
will be in touch when l have checked out the newspapers
best wishes
pam
Burton Booth Lancashire
Bell Derbyshire

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 August 08 08:55 BST (UK) »
HI

Just been looking based on the DFC that your man was awarded and found these two sites - the first one if your on the home page enable you to search the site for someone

http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au/honours/honour_roll/search.cfm?aus_award_id=1070597&search_type=quick&showInd=true

and this one gives back ground info on the Squadron that your man was in.

Wendy

http://www.rcaf.com/squadrons/400series/431squadron.php
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Colin Cruddace

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 August 08 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Pam and Wendy,
Thanks very much for your interest and suggestions. I found Lindholme with no problem. It's interesting to see the place on Google satellite maps where you can see the outlines of a couple of the former runways.
I've been able to find a lot of information about him but not the action leading to the award of his DFC, nor the circumstances of his death.
He appears on the Australian Roll of Honour at www.ww2roll.gov.au.

William Gordon Craig married Olive Mary Swainston (my mother's cousin) on10th August 1944 at Darlington
The award of his DFC was Gazetted on 13th October 1944, as an Acting Flt Lieut
His funeral and burial took place in Darlington on 10th April 1945 and a local newspaper report says he was awarded the DFC two months 'before' his marriage.

I'm still waiting for his service records which might have the DFC details, but I doubt if his death will have much detail, which is why I'm trying for newspaper reports as the best option.

The added problem is that he was an Australian pilot, assigned to a Canadian squadron, flying RAF missions. 431 squadron RCAF was disbanded not long after the war but records should be available somewhere. I haven't tried for those yet.

Best wishes to you both,
Colin

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 August 08 12:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin,

Have you requested the records from the National Archives of Australia?

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/explore/defence/service-records/army-wwii.aspx

I just noticed there's a "request this item" button under each listing  :)
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson