Author Topic: james saunders or saunders-loder  (Read 25712 times)

Offline Rockwildah14

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: james saunders or saunders-loder
« Reply #27 on: Monday 13 May 13 01:39 BST (UK) »
Hey do you have any idea what Kaumatua james saunder-loder was a descendant from?

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 13 May 13 06:56 BST (UK) »
Hey do you have any idea what Kaumatua james saunder-loder was a descendant from?

no.but i understand he came from Lancashire .the fact that he has a double barreled name indicates he might have been a 'loader' and that his actual surname was jut Saunders.
Alderson Scott -Arkengarthdale, Loveden Boucher & Wakefield -Berkshire, Rawsthorne -Ormskirk, Stanley-Snowshill, Harris-Aston Cantlow, Clemenger-Cavan, Ireland and Liverpool, Metcalf-Kirkby Stephen, Bishop-Trowbridge.

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 18 January 17 03:45 GMT (UK) »
Anyone still interested in the 'origins' of Peneamine/Benjamin Te Kihi, I am still researching this matter. I have established through a certain manuscript kept in Archives New Zealand, Wellington office, that Te Kihi was given the patronym "Reko" or "Riko". His hapu/sub tribe affiliations are given as follows: Kai Tutekawa, Kai Tuna, Kai Turakautahi and Kati Huirapa. The hapu affiliations for his wife, Romia Titope, and her sister Pakinui Titope are as follows:Kati Huirapa, Kai Turakautahi, Kai Tutekawa, Kai Tuna and Kati Reitei. I have the whakapapa for all the lines relating to Romia and Pakinui where for example, Tuna is shown as the descendant of Tutekawa (Kati Mamoe/Ngati Kahungunu). Romia and Pakinui were also descendants of Te Maiwerohia, the great-grandson of Tutekawa. Further more, looking through some James Herries-Beattie notes some years back, there is a brief mention of Te Kihi as the "cousin" of Puao Jack Rakiraki's father, Haimona Rakiraki alias Rakitapu. This "Reko" should not be confused with Haimona's father of the same name. So far I am labouring under the notion the name is actually "Riko" and that it points to a relative of Haimona's called Te Urukaio alias Riko.
I am required to research this hypothesis further, but as of yet I am inclined to believe I am on the right track. Watch this space,....  ;D
Alderson Scott -Arkengarthdale, Loveden Boucher & Wakefield -Berkshire, Rawsthorne -Ormskirk, Stanley-Snowshill, Harris-Aston Cantlow, Clemenger-Cavan, Ireland and Liverpool, Metcalf-Kirkby Stephen, Bishop-Trowbridge.

Offline teetul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
I would be very interested in any information that you have on  Pakinui Titope I am a descendant of hers but have nothing about her whanau, hapu, iwi and canoe. Anything you have would be thankfully received.

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 20:39 GMT (UK) »
A copy of a document found in the Frank Tod papers at the Dunedin Hocken Library (MS-3290/04.) titled ’Schedule showing the names of the purchasers on Crown Lands in the District of Moeraki in the Provision recommended for the half-caste children’ shows both Mary Pakinui and her niece Pere (Pere Kapu) identified with the hapu Kati Moruka, who was the daughter of Maru. Mary Pakinui was married to William Harpur whilst Pere was not married at the time her partner is recorded as James Saunders. This document carries the date of May 1853.
The following is a line from the Kai Tahu tipuna Kuri. Note Moruka is the great-great-granddaughter of Kuri:

Kuri
                                          |
                                  Rakaitekura
                                          |
                                     Puraho = Hinepaka
                                                   |
                                               Maru = Te Waipuha (no Ngati Whata)
                                                         |
                                                    Moruka =*Tahuna (a Tuwhakapau)
                                                                  |
                                                            Hineata = Tuata
                                            _______________|_______________
                                            |                                                    |
                     Kaiata = Hinekaimoe                                         Hinepuariari
                 ________|_______________
                 |                                         |
            Moko                                   Taawha
                 |
          Pukukea
                 |
            Mahaki
         ____|_______________
         |                                 |
     Romia                           Pakinui
         |
    Pere Kapu

Offline miloleni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Loveden,
I have just started my journey to find my whakapapa and would appreciate any info you have on James Saunders Loder. We are descendants of his first son John to Pere Kapu. Thanks  :)

Offline teetul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Thank you very much for that information, really appreciated. It will be very useful.

Regards Allan.

Offline Loveden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 07:44 GMT (UK) »
     (Kati Mamoe) Hinetauhara = Maika (Kati Mamoe and Ngati Kahungunu)
                                            |
(Kati Mamoe) Rakanuku = Tutekawa
                              |
                    Te Atawhiua = Tupuku
                                       |   
                                    Koa = Kiritekateka (her tribe/iwi was Waitaha)
                                            |
                            Te Maiwerohia =Tamakitahaka                     Te Korerehu = Te Rakiamoa           
                                                           |___                   _____________________|
                                                                  |                  |                                    |
                                                              Kiraho = Hokotuna                       Tanemahuta = Moko
                                                                          |                  ______________________|
                                                                          |                  |
                                                                Pukukea = Tawhirimatea
                                       ____________________|___________________________
                                       |                                                     |                             |
                                Mahaki =Titope                            Tahapa= Poihaka             Poutoa = Titope
                      ___________|____________                             |                                    |
                      |                                         |                     Rauahiahi = Kawa              Pakote
             # Romia            Harper 2nd = Pakinui = 1st Marten
                                       ________|______________
                                       |                                       |
                                   Tame                                  Teo =Peti Wixon

This appears to show Titope coupled with both Mahaki and Poutoa. Another version places Pukukea as the offspring of Moko, instead of Tawhirimatea being the offspring of Moko.Tutekawa was the son of Hinetauhara and Maika. Poutea is the offspring of Pukuhea and Tawhirimatea. Te Rakiamoa is the son of Turkautahi and Te Aowharepapa. Write this down carefully.

Offline teetul

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 08:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Loveden. It is getting trickier isn't it.

Regards Allan.