Author Topic: THOMAS & JANE WILLIAMS burials 1861+  (Read 2331 times)

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
THOMAS & JANE WILLIAMS burials 1861+
« on: Monday 25 August 08 05:38 BST (UK) »
Would appreciate some advice.  I'm looking for Thomas Williams and his second wife Jane (formerly Roberts - my 3s great grandmother).  I have them both on the 1861 census at Cefn Braich Llanddeiniolen.  At that time Jane was stated age 71 and Thomas was stated age 63 and a quarryman.  I've looked for them in the St Cedol Pentir MIs but no luck.  If they were chapel can anyone suggest which one might be the most likely in that area?

thanks
Heather

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pingu153

• RootsChat Extra
  • My gt grandmother Ann Jones
    • View Profile
Re: THOMAS & JANE WILLIAMS burials 1861+
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 08 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Heather
I looked at Macpellah for you but no luck with the house name Cefn Braich.
Try googling "Achau Gwefan Eryri" and find Mr Ap Rheinallts v good pages . At the bottom of the left hand menu you will find a link to his transcription of the Macpellah Cem. You can then lok for them by name.
Regards
Sharon
Owen, Powell, Roberts,  -Anglesey
Evans, Morris Thomas,Rice, Thomas, -Caernarfonshire
Woolley/Hooley Chester
Vickers, Fitton, Price, Cowap, Leech, Griffiths, Venables, Evans - Cheshire
Lloyd- Shropshire Glamorganshire
Meecham, Gloucestershire, Glamorganshire
Richards Nottinghamshire

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 08 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

Thanks for the help  :) :)

Heather

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I've finally discovered from Old Maps exactly where Cefn y Braich was.  Just outside Rhiwlas to the south.  So not really Llanddeiniolen at all!  Also from Old Maps, on the 1891 map of Caernarvonshire, there is a note beside the St. Cedol at Pentir grounds indicating a non-conformist cemetery.   I see that Gwynedd FHS have MI's for Pentir Non-denominational so I think I've answered my own question :-\

Sorry to have troubled you :)

Heather

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 October 08 08:48 BST (UK) »
UPDATE

OK  I ordered up the Pentir non-dom MIs.  Thomas & Jane Williams are not on there  :(  As a matter of interest for anyone else looking the burials all seem to be from the 20th century)

I did manage to find Thomas Williams, widower, at Cefn Braich in  Rhiwlas in 1871 age 73 but gone by 1881. 

I checked the Macpellah site Sharon but no luck there

If anyone has the MIs for Llanddeiniolen itself I would appreciate a look through there.  Ive not been able to find a marriage for them in the Arfon marriages between when Jane's first husband John Roberts died in 1835 and mid 1837.  The registrar at Caernarfon says there is no marriage after 1837 so I'm beginning to think they never did marry :o.  Perhaps that is why they are not buried at Pentir which would be the logical place.  That being the case, it is possible that Jane is buried as Jane Roberts and not Williams ;)

Any and all suggestions considered ;D
Thanks
Heather

Offline ron w roberts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Im looking for a John Thomas Roberts who migrated to Australia in 1854. I believe what I read on this chat about your search for Thomas and Jane Williams and I believe that Jane is John Thomas's mother as JT was born in 1818. Could this be right?

Offline ron w roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:40 BST (UK) »
Also too did Jane Williams own a farm at Waun Fawr? As I believe that this was John Thomas Roberts birthplace

Offline hiraeth

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 July 18 22:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Im looking for a John Thomas Roberts who migrated to Australia in 1854. I believe what I read on this chat about your search for Thomas and Jane Williams and I believe that Jane is John Thomas's mother as JT was born in 1818. Could this be right?

Hello Ron
Regrettably my Jane does not appear to be any relation to your Jane. 

As far as I can figure out my Jane was baptized in 1790, daughter of William MORRIS.  Her first marriage as Jane MORRIS, daughter of William MORRIS, took place in 1808 to a John ROBERTS.  The children of this marriage all took the surname JONES patronymically upon marriage, including my 2nd x great grandfather. 

Jane's second marriage as Jane WILLIAMS, daughter of William MORRIS, took place in 1838 to a Thomas WILLIAMS.  It doesn't appear that there were any children from this marriage.   

Sorry I can't be more help.
Heather

Offline ron w roberts

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 July 18 23:13 BST (UK) »

Hello Ron
Regrettably my Jane does not appear to be any relation to your Jane. 

As far as I can figure out my Jane was baptized in 1790, daughter of William MORRIS.  Her first marriage as Jane MORRIS, daughter of William MORRIS, took place in 1808 to a John ROBERTS.  The children of this marriage all took the surname JONES patronymically upon marriage, including my 2nd x great grandfather. 

Jane's second marriage as Jane WILLIAMS, daughter of William MORRIS, took place in 1838 to a Thomas WILLIAMS.  It doesn't appear that there were any children from this marriage. 
Sorry I can't be more help.
Heather

Hi Heather m glad you got back to us quickly!!! Just 4 questions for you but do you know if Jane Williams owned a farm at Waun Fawr and why did the children of Jane and John Roberts took the name of Jones???  Where did the marraige of Jane Morris and John Roberts took place at And the 4th question,,,, Who was your 2x great grandfather???  sorry to be a pain but you are actually the best lead we have had in a long time. Thanks Ron