Author Topic: Hello from Geelong, Australia  (Read 32274 times)

Offline kg454

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Geelong, Australia
« Reply #117 on: Friday 11 September 15 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I know it's an old thread but I've just started researching and there are so many coincidences in this thread with what I've found I had to ask. 

I think I'm looking for Edward Alexander as mentioned in replies 36,92,94,95,111 but under the different surname Wesala.  I found a post on ancestry http://trees.ancestry.com.au/pt/RequestTreeAccess.aspx?tid=48501181&pid=20339245806 that may indicate that they're the same person.

In reply 23, leander is listed as in Balmain in 1912, and my EA is listed on his mariage certificate as balmain in 1913.  That certificate lists his mother as Sarah Waghorn but his father as Alexander John Wesala.  EA's occupation is listed as seaman and father's occupation is master mariner.

On EA's death certificate, it lists his father as Leander Wesala, ship's captain and mother as Sarah Waghorn.  EA's occupation is listed as ships rigger on this one.

EA's birth place is listed as southampton on both certificates which matches http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/information.pl?scan=1&r=83964076:9478&d=bmd_1441408475. It looks like that W is for Wesala which would increase the likelyhood of finish ancestory. 

EA's letters refers to his own surname as Wesala. 

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: Saturday 12 September 15 02:29 BST (UK) »
Hi there, and Welcome

According to the NSW State Records Office INDEX for Child Care and Protection there’s two files for Rosetta Louisa WESALA 

The index has her as aged 14 years 7 months on 29 Sept 1922, and it also has her mother as dead, and her adopted father as Edward WESALA

I would expect there to be further info available in the files themselves.

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/indexes-online/indexes-to-education-and-child-welfare-records/index-to-child-care-and-protection/index-to-child-care-and-protection

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline kg454

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: Saturday 12 September 15 16:28 BST (UK) »
So when Elsie died (1921?), Rosetta (still not of age) was adopted by her uncle Edward Alexander who promptly apprenticed her off to Mrs Brierley in 1922. 

Offline Paulpadley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 12:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am also looking for a copy of Leander Johnson estate papers. Can you contact me if you receive this.   Thanks

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday 05 March 19 22:55 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I am also looking for a copy of Leander Johnson estate papers. Can you contact me if you receive this.   Thanks

and

Leander Johnson died in Tonga in 1918. He came from Finland.
His estate papers are in the British Consul in Tonga's papers in the Western Pacific Archive in Auckland University Library, NZ.
I have seen them and took a few notes. They mention his 5 sons- no daughters.
Charles Henry Johnson, Leander John Johnson, Edward Alexander Johnson, Emil James Johnson and an adopted son George Johnson.

Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat,

I can see that the University of Auckland's Library has a 'Contact Us' option at the following live link
https://www.library.auckland.ac.nz/contact-us/   and within that there is an email address for their Cultural Collections, including archives .....

I hope that helps,

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.