Author Topic: Edwin Isaac Baker of Hailsham (1837 -1912)  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edwin Isaac Baker of Hailsham (1837 -1912)
« on: Monday 25 August 08 14:46 BST (UK) »
Following the discovery of a photo of Edwin Isaac Baker, photographer of Hailsham, in my family album, I am convinced I am related to him - but can't prove it!  His father, Isaac Baker, was born around 1810 in Alfriston and that's as far back as I can get.   Isaac married Sarah Lambert 8 Aug. 1834 - perhaps there were witnesses whose names might give a clue?  Isaac and Sarah's third child (b 1839) was a Frances Y Baker - does that 'Y' give a clue to an old family surname?   The Hailsham OPRs do not appear to be available on CD - can any kind soul with access to the Hailsham parish records check and let me know?

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin Isaac Baker of Hailsham (1837 -1912)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 08 16:19 BST (UK) »
The Sussex Marriage Index doesn't give any more clue's to that marriage, just that it was by banns & Isaac was from Alfriston & Sarah from Hailsham at the time of their marriage.  Looking at the 1851 census, Isaac states he was born in Alfriston about 1810, so, if you want to find his baptism, wouldn't you want the Alfriston pr's  :-\

I presume you've seen these two sites?

http://www.sussex-uk-ancestors.com/

http://www.photohistory-sussex.co.uk/Bakerbiog.htm

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 August 08 19:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. Sadly, the Alfriston birth records, both for the Ebenezer Chapel and for the Parish Church, fail to record the birth of Isaac Baker, which is why I was trying to do some lateral thinking!   If anyone can find that middle name of Isaac's daughter, Frances Y Baker (b 1839 Hailsham), this might just prove to be Yates, or Young (or, of course, Yvonne or Yvette!) 

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 09:15 BST (UK) »
Chudleigh, I had another look at the 1851 census & I don't think it's a 'Y'.  FreeBMD gives a birth reg. for a Frances SARAH Baker, Q2 1839, Hailsham (7 314)  Also on FreeBMD Caleb J. is Caleb Jason & Mary R. is Mary Rebecca.
Did you notice on the 1861 census that there's an Edward Baker with wife Ann & grandson, John Goldsmith age 8 living a few doors away from Isaac & Sarah.  They also appear on the 1851 with Edward stating he was born Hailsham & aged 48. Could he be a brother to Isaac?

jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Chudleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 August 08 09:34 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that - I had rashly dismissed it as a coincidence but will go back and have another look!

Offline meekjustus

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 October 18 00:56 BST (UK) »
I found that record, and it looks like it's Francis S Baker. You may want to see if that's who you're looking for. I'm not able to get much further back than that at the moment either.