Author Topic: 1871 Census - Jonah Fossey - COMPLETED WITH VERY MANY THANKS TO KARENLEE  (Read 3998 times)

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 Census - Jonah Fossey - COMPLETED WITH VERY MANY THANKS TO KARENLEE
« Reply #18 on: Friday 16 October 20 19:30 BST (UK) »
Dear Aester667

Brilliant to find a new relative (no matter how distant)!

Thank you for the information on the Fosseys and I shall certainly check out the familysearch site.  I had found six children on the censuses so nice to be able to add another two.  Found a fair few of the children's marriages (newspaper articles on findmypast) but not one for Mary Ann Elizabeth Fossey.  Could I ask who she married?

Re Hannah Papworth.  I can help!!!  On checking my tree, Hannah Johnson 1854 - 1929 (sister to Mary Ann) married George Papworth 1854 - 1921.  Marriage date 20 July 1873 Arlesey, Bedfordshire.  They had six children (that I have found) - Mary 1874 - 1907, Agnes Selina 1876 - 1971, George Albert 1879 - 1896, Harry 1881 - 1967, Hubert Lovell 1884 - 1918 and Bertram Owen 1887 - 1964. If you would like to know who they married and details of children I can let you have such details as I have.

George's parents were George Papworth and Eliza Squires.  No date of George's death but Eliza died in 1895.  Hannah Johnson and Mary Ann Johnson's parents were Samuel Johnson and Sophia Charles.

I have Jonah Fossey's parents as Daniel Fossey (1821 - ?) and Sarah Knight (1823 - ?).

Hope this helps in some way.

As I said in my previous post, my connection is through Mary Ann's sister Betsy Ann Johnson who married Robert Bardy.  Robert had a younger brother - James Bardy (1854 - 1927).  One of James' sons was Alfred Bardy who married a Mary Jane Durkin.   My Mum (Dorothy Bardy) was their youngest daughter and I am her eldest daughter!

As regards Robert Bardy and Betsy Ann Johnson: they had two sons and two daughters.  One of their sons - Horace Bardy 1886 - 1949 - married an Ethel Jackson.  I have them emigrating to the USA in 1929 arriving Buffalo, NY, USA under the name Joseph Horace Bardy!  On a social security record he says he is from York, England and on another document he says he entered the country as Horace Bardy so I am presuming Joseph Horace and Horace are the same person especially as the wife's name is Ethel in each case. On 1940 census I have the family living Malden, Middlesex, Massachusetts.  They had two children - Irene Bardy 4.9.1910 who married a James Andrew Heslin, and Horace Peter Bardy 17.8.1912 - 1973.

Looks like the Johnsons/Bardys were quite adventurous spreading their wings across the ocean!

It looks like I am going to have plenty to do updating my tree with the Fosseys and Bardys who emigrated.

Thank you so much for contacting me and if I can help in any way just let me know.

I look forward to learning the name of Mary Ann Elizabeth Fossey's husband's name if you would be so kind.

With very best wishes

Zephyr (Janet)

Census information is Crown Copyright from nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 16 October 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
Apologies Aester667 - Just found husband of Mary Ann Elizabeth on familysearch.  I should have checked there first before asking the question!

Janet

Offline aester667

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 October 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
Dear Zephyr,

No problem! His name was Robert Harvey Cross and they had 2 children, Ruby Glen Cross and Harold Jay Cross. Ruby Glen was my grandfather's mother. Her life and health were shortened due to a car wreck.

Mary Anne Elizabeth Fossey was my grandfather's grandmother, who moved in with my grandparents as she advanced in age. They didn't have an extra room, so my mother and her were roomies. Lol. They loved each other and had a wonderful, close relationship. My mother was in high school. Mary Anne Elizabeth Fossey is who I was named after. Elizabeth is my middle name.

Thank you for the information about Hannah Papworth! It confirms what I found too. I was curious to know about the person who wrote the letter I have.

Offline Zephyr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 19 October 20 22:11 BST (UK) »
Dear Aester667

Thank you so much for all your information on the Fossey/Cross families.  It has been wonderful to be able to learn so much about the American side of the family.  The familysearch site also has lots of information on the family which has been very useful so thank you for putting me in that direction.

I can see that Mary Ann Elizabeth Fossey lived to a grand old age - no doubt she had many interesting stories to tell!  She sounds like a very loving and caring person.

It has been lovely to hear from you and if I can help with any information from this side of the pond I will certainly do my best.

With very best wishes to you.

Janet (Zephyr)