Author Topic: Archibald RICHARDSON - man or myth?  (Read 10656 times)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: 1920s holidays
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 25 May 19 20:07 BST (UK) »
It's time for me to have another crack at this problem.

I couldn't find the passenger record of J R JAMES (age 49, Indian Police) going to Ceylon in 1923 (found by carol8353).  I suspect he must have been a cousin I haven't identified yet, using the address of John Henry (CORDNER) JAMES for convenience.  I'll ask around the family and see if anyone knows anything.

"Archibald John RICHARDSON" remains a mystery - there are a few births for Archibald RICHARDSON on FreeBMD but I can't place any of them in London/Middlesex/Surrey or anywhere near where Joan lived.
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 26 May 19 09:51 BST (UK) »
I have found a J R James age 49 going out to Ceylon on 13th October 1923- he was a member of the Indian Police and his home address was  9 Lymington Road, West Hampstead. Country of intended future residence ........India. So maybe the rest of the family followed him later?

I found this over 3 years ago,I have no idea which website I got it from,but can't find it on any of them now.... BLOW!!!!
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 26 May 19 10:11 BST (UK) »
I have found a J R James age 49 going out to Ceylon on 13th October 1923- he was a member of the Indian Police and his home address was  9 Lymington Road, West Hampstead. Country of intended future residence ........India. So maybe the rest of the family followed him later?

I found this over 3 years ago,I have no idea which website I got it from,but can't find it on any of them now.... BLOW!!!!

Thank you so much for re-checking.  Seeing the actual record is not essential - it's enough for me to know that it exists.  This family (descended from a long line of Cornish miners) had members emigrating to many parts of the world in the 19th and early 20th centuries - South America, the USA, Malaysia, South Africa, Australia, Ireland and other countries - to work in mines.  J R JAMES is the first I know of to work in India/Ceylon, and the first Civil Servant.  A fun find!  :) :)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Archibald RICHARDSON - man or myth?
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 26 May 19 11:00 BST (UK) »
This is probably not the family but have you looked at the Archibald Richardson  cousin of Sir John Richardson the Artic explorer I googled Archibald Richardson and what I found he went off to Australia with his family including a son Archibald John/Jack Richardson born 1873 but after the death of Archibald sr his family moved back to London about 1900 but couldn't find anything else Maybe a grandson of Archibald sr could be the one you are looking for

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 27 May 19 01:31 BST (UK) »
This is probably not the family but have you looked at the Archibald Richardson  cousin of Sir John Richardson the Artic explorer I googled Archibald Richardson and what I found he went off to Australia with his family including a son Archibald John/Jack Richardson born 1873 but after the death of Archibald sr his family moved back to London about 1900 but couldn't find anything else Maybe a grandson of Archibald sr could be the one you are looking for

I can't completely discount this man.  My problem is that I can't put Joan JAMES together with any Archibald RICHARDSON to conceive a child in early 1929 (born in November when Joan was 24).  There may have been an Archibald passing through London who had a fling with Joan - I just don't know!

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 27 May 19 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Philipsearching,

Very intriguing thread!
There were several Richardsons involved in tea plantation businesses in Ceylon according to this website including an A.E Richardson
 https://www.historyofceylontea.com/tea-planters/planters-registry/richardson-a-e--11118318.html
Not a lot of info on the website - but maybe worth sending a message.

Looby :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 May 19 02:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Philipsearching,

Very intriguing thread!
There were several Richardsons involved in tea plantation businesses in Ceylon according to this website including an A.E Richardson
 https://www.historyofceylontea.com/tea-planters/planters-registry/richardson-a-e--11118318.html
Not a lot of info on the website - but maybe worth sending a message.

Looby :)

Many thanks - that's very interesting.  A E RICHARDSON fits the time frame (Mahadova 1929-30).  He doesn't quite match the names Archibald John, but it's a new lead well worth me checking.

Philip