Author Topic: DEVOS JEFFREY Marriage Aberdeen?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
DEVOS JEFFREY Marriage Aberdeen?
« on: Tuesday 26 August 08 09:53 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather Alexander DEVOS (b 1904 Aberdeen) married Thomasina MILNE (b 1914 Aberdeen) in London Q2 1930.
They had 2 children in different areas of London in Q3 1931 and Q2 1934.
Q1 1935 birth cert of a daughter sees Alexander in Gt Ouseburn with Margaret DEVOS formerly JEFFREY. Alexander is the informant on the birth cert.
I haven't been able to find an English marriage for Alexander and Margaret, but ScotlandsPeople only goes up to 1932 and if they married it's going to be 1934/1935 It's very likely to be Aberdeen as that's where Alexander, Thomasina, Margaret and Alexander's first child (1922) all come from and where Alexander returns to by 1942 and dies in 1962.

Does anyone have access to Scottish marriage records for that time period please?
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline SheilaDeVos1935

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DEVOS JEFFREY Marriage Aberdeen?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 February 16 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am confused, I don't know if we are talking about the same DeVos family but I will see what you think. . . My biological Grandfather and Grandmother were called Alexander and Margaret DeVos/nee Jeffrey originally from Belgium, last known Scotland. My Mother was Sheila Margaret DeVos born 9th January 1935 however Sheila was not the name on her Birth Certificate. I know she had a younger brother but you mention two elder children than my Mother born to Alexander but not with Margaret, I hadn't realised Alexander had a relationship with someone before Margaret, I have been given incorrect information it seems by my family. I really need to speak to you. Before I give out any more information I would so much like to receive contact from you? I have so very many questions to ask you, as you may have of me? Hope to hear from you soon, Karen

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 February 16 11:09 GMT (UK) »
on the marriage reg Jun qtr 1930 Alexander has the middle initial "N" and Thomasina the middle initial G

1931 Electoral roll shows Alexander Nicol De'Vos at 32 Sutherland St Westminster

May help a little??

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:14 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness - you have no idea how exciting these two posts are :)

Karen - I have sooo much info.  If I remember correctly you need to make 3 posts before you can use the private message system.
But,  biologically your mum would be my mum's auntie (and you her cousin).

Suz - Thomasina Gillies Milne was Alexander's first wife. 2 children if I remember correctly. I don't think they actually divorced and I think that's why I can't find a marriage for Alexander and Margaret.

I'm not at my pc so can't dig into my actual files right now but oh my goodness - what an exciting day.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline SheilaDeVos1935

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh gosh so exciting but I don't know how to even work this I am useless on the Internet and so want to speak with you. Our Grandmother was only 13 when she had my Mother which I suppose is why she was given up for adoption. My Grandmother, Margaret use to visit my Mum as a baby when she had been adopted. I so want to know if you are descended from my Mothers brother? What was his name, is he still alive. You wouldn't find a marriage cert for 1934/1935 because Margaret would only have been 13!! Maybe need to look a few years on or like you say maybe they were never married really? I know after Alexander died Margaret remarried and that husband knew nothing about my Mother. You will have to guide me into private messages please?

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Personal Messages -

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

You should be able to use the PM system  now you have 2 posts.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline SheilaDeVos1935

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 16 13:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kia, this will be my third post lol I am fumbling my way around the site. It was my daughter who found your post so I immediately registered in order to contact you. I can't wait to find out who your parents and grandparents are. Do you know of my Mothers younger brother?  I am intrigued how my Grandparents met because they obviously made a story up to give to my Mothers adoptive parents. They thought she was 16 not 13. I have a photo of Alexander and Margaret that they left with my Mothers adoptive parents and they visited for a time. My Mother made contact with them through her brothers ex wife I think in the eighties. Can't wait to find out more  :)

Offline SheilaDeVos1935

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 June 16 05:36 BST (UK) »
Please contact me. I have sent u a pm explaining. Thanks Karen

Offline SheilaDeVos1935

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 June 16 10:19 BST (UK) »
WHERE ARE YOU KIA? What has happened to Kia?  PLEASE DOES ANYONE KNOW?