Author Topic: HALS  (Read 4613 times)

Offline benzon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: HALS
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 November 08 16:26 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware you do not need anything to look at the parish records, GRO index, census returns etc which are located in the local studies room.  However, if you want to view original documents in the archives room, then yes you need a card.  In the archives room you fill in a docket with the relevant reference info (found in indexes) and then hand that in at the desk together with your card.  Your card will be returned to you when you return the documents.  Perhaps also worth noting is that I have never viewed any documents in the archive room that can be photocopied so be aware and take a really good camera if you want a hard copy of an original.
LAWRENCE - Gt Hormead, HUTCHIN - Albury, CARTER/CARTER CLAY - St Albans/Stanstead Abbotts, BURTON - Hoddesdon, WARD - Hunsdon, BEARD - Ware, LEE - Cripplegate/Glemsford

Offline cashcityrocker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 16 December 08 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Gembar,

I'm also interested in MARLBOROUGHs in Hertfordshire. I see from your other posts that you are tracing George (b. 1872); I think that may be the younger brother of Henry Charles (b.1865) from my line.

Regards,
cashcityrocker

Offline KarenE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
RE taking a camera into the archive to make your own hard copies.

Is that allowed?