Author Topic: Fowler  (Read 2264 times)

Offline troobloo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fowler
« on: Wednesday 27 August 08 13:32 BST (UK) »
Anyone got any link with either Alexander Fowler or his father William Fowler?  Both were schoolmasters, William and his family lived at Culbokie School House and once grown up himself, Alexander lived with his wife Margaret at Tarradale School.  Alexander Fowler was born 1881 and died in 1965.  On his grave stone it reads Alexander Fowler M.B.E.  J.P.  F.E.I.S. 

The MBE is obvious - is there any way of seeing records about people that have been awarded an MBE?

The JP I have took to mean Justice of the Peace.

FEIS - i'm not so certain.  A search of acronyms found - Fellow of the Educational Industry of Scotland.  As far as I knew the EIS is the Educational Insititute of Scotland, but it may have changed??  If it is the case, what makes you a 'fellow' of something?

Thanks  :)

Offline Phannah

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fowler
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 10 May 20 15:42 BST (UK) »
Hi, you are spot on with all the letters after his name. MBE was 1946 for services to education but i suspect you have found that out already.
Are you a relative? I am interested in Margaret Fowler as I am researching the Ross-shire SWI Federation and she was the first President of Muir of Ord Institute. Would you happen to have a photo of her or any further information on her?
many thanks
Phyllis