Author Topic: Merthyr Cynog - Ty'n y wern COMPLETED  (Read 14420 times)

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
Re: Merthyr Cynog - Ty'n y wern COMPLETED
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 09 10:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayzee,yes please  :)
I did go to try to find the place after visiting a relative in Cradoc, but I think I went up the wrong lane and got lost!

kind regards
Margaret
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 October 09 09:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret,
                   Have spoken to the owners, there is nothing left of the house, but part of the barn & cowsheds are still standing. I shall go for a walk on the weekend to see what is there & will send you a personal mail with exact directions etc and/or a photo.
   Kay
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline CARDI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 19 December 09 06:22 GMT (UK) »
my grandfather edgar gittus farmed blaengwy from 1933 to 1963. my father farmed there from 1963 to 2001. my mum now 76 and now living in brecon was born in blaengwy it was also my family home. i have read the roots chat about tyn y wern of which of course i know well. i have spoken to my mum breifly about this and she recalls her father mentioning the one time residents of tyn y wern and this was the munkley family. my grandfather was 90 when he died in 1990.

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 December 09 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cardi,
             Welcome to rootschat - not often Blaengwy gets a mention on here, but a great place to get help with any family history problems. Good luck with your research.
Kay
Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 February 15 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear all
it is a long time since this discussion was completed, but I wanted to tell you the Cynefin project http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/en/ tht is transcribing tithe maps of Wales.
I have been able to look in detail at the 1850 tithe map of the parish of Merthyr Cynog which includes the names of all houses and additionally lists the landowner, occupant, name and description of the land by linking it to the field number.
http://cynefin.archiveswales.org.uk/en/tithe-maps/transcribe/#Merthyr%20Cynog&/transcribe/477891144931/&/georeference/452847425302/&/visualize/452847425302/&&/map/462892965487/
If you haven't already looked, and are interested in the maps of this era, you wont be disappointed.
To pay back, I have joined the army of transcribers, and have mapped one page and one map !
Margaret
Surname Interests

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Josper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 July 19 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi just joined
Are you still after info on tynwern
I was actually there on sat !
My father was brought up on that farm !

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Josper and welcome to RootsChat :-)
Any info you have about Tynwern/Tynywern would be greatly appreciated.
Also, do you have a modern postcode for it?
Mar

Surname Interests

Offline Josper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:17 BST (UK) »
Hi , what would you like to Know ?
Thomas & Joyce griffin occupied the farm 1950- 1980 . The farm house was crumbling at this point but they still farmed there .
John and Gwenllian Williams occupied from around 1900 . They were the parents of my grandads mum . They are all at rest in ebenezer chapel next to the fields of tynwern . My Nan Joyce is still going strong at 91 . She lives near lower chapel .

There is abit of the backwall still there and the toilet across the road with some chicken sheds .

LD3, 9rg is postcode for the chapel.
Tynwern is just up from here

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 July 19 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Josper,
my Munkley family were there in the 1850's.
I once thought I had found it but I turned back as the road was more of a track.
I took the road from Upper Chapel and turned up towards Garth, then I turned directly left at the next turning?
Was I anywhere near
(My Powell family are buried in Siloh Chapel)
Mar
Surname Interests