Author Topic: Records of Medals awarded by the queen 1850s  (Read 1474 times)

Offline steeleyes1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Records of Medals awarded by the queen 1850s
« on: Friday 29 August 08 00:34 BST (UK) »
I am from Australia but my ancestors where from Canada.My dilemna is that around 1850s my ggg grandfather was awarded a medal by the queen for the recapture of Detroit.
There were said to be two Isaac Dolsens or Dolsons that received these medals and Im trying to figure if they were the same person.
Is it possible to find records in England for the medals awarded and to who.
steeleyes1

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Records of Medals awarded by the queen 1850s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 08 10:21 BST (UK) »
Detroit was captured by the British on August 16th 1812, and recaptured by the American General Harrison in 1813. I cannot see how a medal would be awarded around 1850 by Queen Victoria for something which happened in 1812  :)

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 August 08 11:21 BST (UK) »
Shame on you Stan.

The Military General Service medal for the wars against France, Spain and the USA 1793 - 1814 was issued in 1848 and so bears QV's head. It was apparently at the suggestion of Prince Albert. One condition was the man had to be alive (in 1847/48) and also had to apply for it.

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/militarygeneralservice1793_1814.htm

The Battle of Waterloo was not included as they issued a separate medal for that at the time.

If have a medal roll somewhere so I will see if I can find any Dolsens/Dolsons. Maybe he won two clasps. I cannot see how he would receive two medals.

Ken

Offline steeleyes1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 August 08 23:20 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Ken and Stan. My Isaac Matthew Dolsen was part of the Kent Corps a militia group from Chatham in western Ontario on the River Thames.
The other Isaac Dolson was a Munsee Indian nation Chief who came from the same area. References to these medals has come from old historical books but my ancestors had a long relationship with the Munsee Delaware and the Moravian missionaries particularly around the time of the 1812 wars.
My family were United Empire Loyalists(American Revolution) and the 1812 Battle of the Thames was to take place on Matthew Dolsens farm(Isaacs father)but continued upstream to take place adjacent to the moravion mission at Fairfield on the Thames.
I can only presume the medal roll would be for the capture of Detroit or the Kent Militia perhaps John or Isaac Dolsens Rifles.
Isaac was also involved in three other battles including the River Raisin led by Tecumseh of the Shawnee.
If there were two separate medals issued I can presume they were not the same person.

Steel Eyes1

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 August 08 21:51 BST (UK) »
There were only three clasps for the 1812 war in North America:
Fort Detroit,  Chateauguay and Chrystler's Farm. I cannot find my MGS roll. I suggest you post a question on the British Medal forum, in the pre 1914 section.

Ken

Offline steeleyes1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 August 08 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Ken I will try this.
Steeleyes1

Offline TimothyS

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 February 18 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I am replying to a dated post but you will be interested to know that the medal awarded to "Isaac Dolsen Canadian Militia" is in a collection in Canada. The General Service Medal with the Fort Detroit bar is in very good condition. This medal and his eligibility for it is confirmed on the medal role. I am not aware of the other Dolsen.

I am trying to research Isaac Dolsen in conjunction with the medal  and came across this post. Information on his service would be appreciated.

Tim