Author Topic: Burma Railway  (Read 1658 times)

Offline fourlambs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burma Railway
« on: Friday 29 August 08 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello, I am seeking details on my uncles experiences during WW2...

Reginald Mutton joined the army in 1939 (4th Battalion Royal Norfolk) using a false age to get in, he made corporal and was taken prisoner in Singapore and almost died on the Burma Railway, he came home at the end of the war in late August 1945 after spending all that time under the Japanese.

Are there any websites dedicated to the WW2 Burma Railway where Reginald might be mentioned ? Pictures, memorials etc

Regards
Phil
Norfolk:
MUTTON, AMIES, AMISS, BLOOM, BODDY, BRISTER, CURTIS, EDRIDGE, EWLES, GOODSON, HALL, HARDINGHAM, HEWITT, HIGH, JOHNSON, LAWRENCE, LINCOLN, LUBBOCK, MALLETT, NEWSTEAD, POSTLE, RUMBOLD, TUBBY, WYAND

Birmingham:
WILSON, TAYLOR

Germany:
WOLF, FIEDLER

'why fall in love when you can fall in chocolate !'

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Burma Railway
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 August 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Phil,

if you go to www.fepow-community.org.uk you will find various posts with regards to the 4th Bt Royal Norfolk regiment. The 4th bt were a TA battalion and they were mobilised on 1st September 1942, embarking from Liverpool they arrived in Singapore (via Halifax Ca. and also South Africa -Durban I think) on 29th January 1942 only to be captured on the 15th Feb. On the link that I have given, you should be able to post on the fepow community message board any enquiry with regards to your uncle and also his regiment.

old rowley
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline sacredspirit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 January 14 20:56 GMT (UK) »
hi

my grandad also joined 4th btln norfolk reg was took on train to various camps and changi prison
and burma railway then escape was in the jungle i wonde if  new each other im looking everywhere for information havent found 1 photo yet either :( jo

Offline Muttonemm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 August 20 13:17 BST (UK) »
I believe the man your asking about is my grandad

Offline fourlambs

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 May 21 22:59 BST (UK) »
I believe the man your asking about is my grandad

Muttonemm who was your grandfather, where from?
Norfolk:
MUTTON, AMIES, AMISS, BLOOM, BODDY, BRISTER, CURTIS, EDRIDGE, EWLES, GOODSON, HALL, HARDINGHAM, HEWITT, HIGH, JOHNSON, LAWRENCE, LINCOLN, LUBBOCK, MALLETT, NEWSTEAD, POSTLE, RUMBOLD, TUBBY, WYAND

Birmingham:
WILSON, TAYLOR

Germany:
WOLF, FIEDLER

'why fall in love when you can fall in chocolate !'

Offline Muttonemm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 May 21 07:48 BST (UK) »
Mr grandad was Reginald mutton wife Gwen from gt  Yarmouth gorleston / Bradwell