Author Topic: Harten  (Read 1541 times)

Offline cynthia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Harten
« on: Friday 28 January 05 01:45 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for the Harten family or families who came to Canada. I have no information, except, Harten is my last name. I can find no information here in Canada, and I was hoping someone could help me from over your way. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Please send any info to Email address removed by moderator to prevent spam - please contact by personal message
 . Thanks again.

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
Re: Harten
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 April 05 09:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Cynthia

Do you have any idea as to the dates the family emigrated to Canada?

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cynthia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 04 April 05 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ticker. Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, i have no idea when my family came to Canada, or for that matter, who they were. I know my last name is Harten, and they came from Ireland, that is about it. My grandfather was adopted by the Harten family. We have no idea of even what his adoptive parents names were. My Aunt has Daniel Harten and Ida (Clarke) as his adoptive parents, but I can not find anything on these people. Any information you have on any Hartens who came to Canada would be a great start for me. I hope to hear from you soon. Take care, Cynthia

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 04 April 05 17:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Cynthia

I notice in your last post you say they came over from Ireland.  Is that correct or could they have been from England? 

Incidentally I can see about 4 Harten families in the 1871 census in England.

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline cynthia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi, again!!! Well i am not sure as to whether they came straight from Ireland, or made a stop in England. As I said, I know very little about them. But I will check out the census's. Thanks again

Offline Ticker

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 07:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Cynthia

Let me know if you want any of the census info posting.  I will be happy to do so if it helps.

Best wishes

Ticker

Offline Rupertb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 September 16 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Cynthia

It is quite likely that they did indeed come from Ireland. The name is found mainly in counties Cavan (where my father is from) and Longford as well as in Northern Ireland. A lot of Irish went to the US but a lot also went to Canada and Australia. There are very few of us in the UK.

Let me know if you have come across any more details since.

Thanks
Paul Harten

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 September 16 19:07 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat but this is an old topic and Cynthia hasn't been online since 2005 so it's difficult to know if she found more details or is still interested in tracing her family. If her email address hasn't changed and she's still getting notifications for her post then she might see your message and check in again  :)

Meanwhile, here's the 1901 Ontario marriage for Daniel Stanly Harten and Ida Clarke-
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KZBX-P9L

Lots more resources available online- 1901, 1911, 1921 Canadian census records, for example.

In 1911, Daniel, Ida and daughter are here- with a link to Daniel's 1901 entry (with his family, all born Ontario so any Irish link must be further back, father's background German rather than Irish actually)-
http://automatedgenealogy.com/census11/View.jsp?id=54798&highlight=40&desc=1911+Census+of+Canada+page+containing+Ida+Hartin
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!