Author Topic: 1901 Census  (Read 3321 times)

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
1901 Census
« on: Monday 12 April 04 11:40 BST (UK) »

Heres something I learned..  Before you start paying, work out how many 'looks' you need.

Go straight to the image @75p a look.

The minimum payment is £5.00 so it will cost you that amount whatever..

If you need to look at say 7 or 8 images put in a maximum amount spend, ie £10.00 that way you will only pay for what you use without losing any money, if you have 7 'looks' you only pay £5.25
AND dont forget to SAVE the image.

Also if you buy the Vouchers they are valid for 6months you don't have to struggle to get everything done in one go..
Sue
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re:1901 Census
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 April 04 17:32 BST (UK) »
Hi! Suey

Another way is to download the 1901 census decoder, it enables you to group people together, before you going paying money out. It tells you what it does, and also has a forum section where if you are stuck, you can ask questions.
You will find it on the following site.
http://www.ukgen.com/             or www.censusdecoder.com/

Catherine

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 April 04 20:24 BST (UK) »
 :-[ Catherine as I am a complete dinosaur where tech stuff is concerned I downloaded the de-coder and despite idiot proof instructions from someone I have never been able to make the darn thing work for me.

Also I have seen reports that the 'powers that be' have been changing the code numbers and the de-coder no longer works  ie won't sort into family groups- don't know if this is still the case :-\  and don't you have to know ALL the names in the family that you are looking for?
Sue
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 April 04 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi! Again Suey

The GRO kept meddle with the decoder they are not happy that the information we can get from it for free is right.  They say we should pay for it.  Anyway John who developed the decoder has sorted the problems out each time, you cannot group them together by person ID. but you can group them together by page ID. (basically you come out with the same results.
If you get stuck, send me a private message with the name you are looking for, and your email address, and I can give you a run through on what to do.  Please no Smiths or Jones they can become impossible.

Catherine   :)