Author Topic: Thomas White - Leighlinbridge  (Read 4436 times)

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas White - Leighlinbridge
« on: Saturday 30 August 08 14:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can help me with anymore information on my Great Grandfather Thomas White.
He was born in 1867 in Wicklow or perhaps Dublin. At some point he moved to Leighlinbridge and married Anne Fitzgerald (b1868 Carlow Co) in 1894 in Leighlinbridge.
They had 3 children
Mary White b 1895 Leighlinbridge
Sarah Bridget White b 1896 Leighlinbridge (my grandmother)
Thomas White b 1900 Leighlinbridge
He was down as being an Estate Steward (deceased) on my grandmothers marriage certificate in 1923.
If anyone has any little bits of info that may help me to flesh this family out I would be very grateful.

Regards
Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)

Offline Wicklow Rose

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas White - Leighlinbridge
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Sean

You should be able to move on quite well with your research based on the information you've already got.

First off, apply for a copy of the marriage registration from the General Register Office in Roscommon. It costs 6Euros for a photocopy. Their website is www.groireland.ie and you'll find an application form there. Unfortunately they don't have an online facility but you can send the form with your credit card number.  Fill in the form with the names of Thomas and his bride, the date of the marriage (as close as possible) and the location of Leighlinbridge. They shouldn't have any trouble finding the registration (but bear in mind that they'll charge you 4Euros for their time if they can't locate it).

They'll take up to six weeks to send you a photocopy of the certificate. The information will include Thomas White's occupation, age (although it's also quite likely to say only that he's of Full Age, meaning 21+) and townland address. It will also show the names of the fathers of both bride and groom.

Civil Registration started in 1864 so you may also be able to find Anne Fitzgerald's birth certificate, and that for Thomas if you can pin down his place of birth.  The 1901 and 1911 censuses will help you with that.  Records for Leighlinbridge are not yet online but should be within the next year.

These websites may help you:

http://www.familysearch.org (check out the IGI)
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/about/futureplans.html

Good luck with your research.

Rose
Santry - Cork
O'Driscoll - Cork
Doolittle - Wicklow
Nichols - Wicklow
Doyle - Wexford
Tierney - Tipperary

Offline swebby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas White - Leighlinbridge
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 October 08 17:27 BST (UK) »
Rose

Thank you for the info. I will endeavour to send off for the marriage cert.

Sean
Webb (Sussex), Barham (Sussex, Norfolk/Suffolk), Day (Somerset), Rowett(Somerset, Cornwall), White (Leighlinbridge), Deane (Roscommon), Quinn (Roscommon)