Author Topic: Advice please - Jane Edwards of Llanbadarn Fawr  (Read 3814 times)

Offline dmjsky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice please - Jane Edwards of Llanbadarn Fawr
« on: Saturday 30 August 08 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi from a very green newbie :)
I wonder if anyone could possibly advise me please on how to progress with a search I am doing on a Jane Edwards who was born in Llanbadarn Fawr in approx 1861 (according to the 1891 census data).
She married Benjamin Cozens in 1886 in Middlesex and was residing in Battersea in 1891.
From her marriage certificate it seems that her father was called Hugh and was a farmer, although he was deceased at the time of her marriage.  Although I have trawled through census data online, I don't seem to be able to find a household in 1861 and 1871 with a father called Hugh Edwards who was a farmer and a daughter called Jane, so I am not sure how I can go about finding more information on her.

From family memories (not sure how accurate these are, though) Jane became a teacher and had a brother called Thomas Hugh Edwards, who might have 'worked on ships/in shipping'.  We think she died in or around 1897.

If anyone could please advise me how to move forward, it would be much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Advice please - Jane Edwards of Llanbadarn Fawr
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 August 08 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Isn't Llanbadarn Fawr in Aberystwyth which is in Cardiganshire - not Radnorshire?

Have a look at this Cardiganshire 1871 entry which has the right age and birthplace and father was Hugh - but not a farmer.  Could she have made up his occupation on her marriage cert?

RG10; Piece: 5567; Folio: 99; Page: 8

Deaths

Hugh Edwards age 52 September qtr 1872    Aberystwyth
Cardiganshire Volume: 11b Page: 47

Deaths

Jane Cozens age 37 December qtr 1898  Wandsworth Volume: 1d
Page: 318
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline kmo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 August 08 08:07 BST (UK) »

Offline dmjsky

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 August 08 10:11 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your replies :)
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Isn't Llanbadarn Fawr in Aberystwyth which is in Cardiganshire - not Radnorshire?

I must admit that I thought that Llanbadarn Fawr was in Radnorshire (ie http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/place_page.jsp?p_id=4422&st=Llanbadarn%20Fawr) but thanks to your posting, it does seem that there is a parish of the same name in Cardiganshire.  So maybe the problem is that I have been searching in the wrong area.
Thank you for the census and death references.  I did also find that 1871 census record and also noted that things seemed to match apart from the occupation of the father.  I didn't really know whether I could assume for certain that it was the same family because of the discrepancy.  Are there other sources of information I should also be looking at (apart from census, birth, marriages and death records) which might help me confirm the connection? 

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 August 08 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi

I checked back to earlier censuses and the 1871 Hugh was never a farmer.  It's difficult really as Jane was not with the family in 1881 and the 1891 just says  S.Wales Llanbadarn Fawr without saying whether it was Cardiganshire or Radnorshire

We don't even have the 1901 entry to rely on as she died before then

The only Hugh Edwards on the 1851 and 1861 in Radnorshire was b 1789 so is an unlikely candidate

Freebmd has no Hugh Edwards marriages in Radnorshire between 1850-1863

The 1881 has a Jane Edwards b 1861 Norton Radnorshire - farmers daughter - visiting a James Edwards aged 57 in Shropshire.

NOW - James Edwards was b Llanbadarn Fawr

Needs some further digging
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 August 08 10:31 BST (UK) »
No - that Jane checks back on the 1871 to John & Mary Edwards - John was a farm bailiff