Author Topic: Photos of Old Dalbeth Cemetery  (Read 72103 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Photos of Old Dalbeth Cemetery
« Reply #81 on: Monday 11 November 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
If only...although I am sure a number of them thought they were key players  ::)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Monday 11 November 13 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the lair number of your GGGfather? I maybe able to help you out with a the general area of his lair location as i have the lair numbers of all the surviving stones.

Gerry

I was at Old Dalbeth on Friday 8/11/13 looking for the grave of my g g g gfather Neil Mechan (Meechen / Meechan / Michan etc!). d 24/05/1857 buried Dalbeth Cemetery. No sign of his grave but here's some photos extracted from a phone video I took at the time - apologies for the quality.
Farrell / Mcpolan / Devlin / Flood / Kelly/ McGovern/ McCormick
Letham / Leatham / Cattanach/ ODonnell/ BoyleRoss/ McLeod
McAnaw/McInaw/McNay/ Finn/ Eliott
Pollock / Hyslop/ Elder/ Renfrew/ Hart/ Brydon

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline peterowan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry, thank you. No, I just have the reference from his death registration. Next time I'm in Glasgow I'll go to the Mitchell, I note all the earlier comments about the difficulties with the microfiche. I'm not massively bothered about finding the exact piece of grass, it's probably good enough for me to have seen the burial ground and the setting. I'm more interested to try and find out further why he was buried there, in what was a very small cemetery at the time, when he died in Port Dundas, although I haven't yet located his usual home address. They were all navvies / boatmen so maybe he just died at work, although it was lung disease rather than an accident. Thanks for all the work you've done on this!

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 12 November 13 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Peter,
The burial record for Neil "Mechan" doesn't list any reference to the area or ground in which he is buried. I should have realised that from the date as the burial books only started listing them from the late 1860's. It's more than likely that he was buried there as he was a Roman Catholic and the graveyard belonged to the RC Church as it does till this day. It maybe worth a look at the poor law in the Mitchell Library to see if there was an application for assistance to bury him.
If you PM me your email address I'll send you a copy of the burial book page.

Gerry

Hi Gerry, thank you. No, I just have the reference from his death registration. Next time I'm in Glasgow I'll go to the Mitchell, I note all the earlier comments about the difficulties with the microfiche. I'm not massively bothered about finding the exact piece of grass, it's probably good enough for me to have seen the burial ground and the setting. I'm more interested to try and find out further why he was buried there, in what was a very small cemetery at the time, when he died in Port Dundas, although I haven't yet located his usual home address. They were all navvies / boatmen so maybe he just died at work, although it was lung disease rather than an accident. Thanks for all the work you've done on this!

Motherwell / Anderson / Tradeston / Govan/ Bridgegate/ Aberdeen / Old Machar/ Lanarkshire/ Leadhills/ Penpont/ Muirkirk

1st Royals

Offline CelticIreland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Sunday 01 December 13 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Here's a map of the original layout of Old Dalbeth.
West and East sections are either side of the main pathway which leads to and circles the large monument at the middle bottom in the name of Byers, which still stands today. 

I have some lair numbers and sections of the stones that still exist and with Gerry's help i reckon we can draw up a lair map of Old Dalbeth.

Offline gerryfarrell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Sunday 08 December 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
PM me your email address Celticireland and I'll contact you regards your suggestion.

Gerry

Here's a map of the original layout of Old Dalbeth.
West and East sections are either side of the main pathway which leads to and circles the large monument at the middle bottom in the name of Byers, which still stands today. 

I have some lair numbers and sections of the stones that still exist and with Gerry's help i reckon we can draw up a lair map of Old Dalbeth.

1st Royals

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gerry,

Wonder if you can help.  My grandmother Elizabeth Johnstone age 22, who died in 1923, was buried in Dalbeth, Lair No. 149 Section 14W.(Have burial details).  Also according to Scotlandspeople, in this lair are buried her "mother- in-law and husband", Francis Watters (died 1920) and Elizabeth Watters (died 1924).

However, confused family story, info apparently obtained via the cemetery/archives Dalbeth staff in 1996, says that grandmother Elizabeth Johnstone is buried with her sisterinlaw Elizabeth Anderson and husband Francis Anderson!! We even have a photo of this Anderson grave (with headstone) taken in 1996, convinced that grandmother was buried there.

Is there any way you can check to see if in fact Lair 149 Section 14W has a headstone on it with the names Francis Anderson and Elizabeth Anderson who died in 1959 and 1979 respectively ( i.e. too recent to have burial details online on Scotlandspeople)?    Or are we definitely talking about two totally different graves?  Hope this makes sense.

Being in Australia, I doubt that I will ever have the opportunity for a Glasgow visit.  Would love to clarify this family mystery and would truly appreciate any help you could give.

Cheers
Maggie - in Adelaide South Australia.
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline CelticIreland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Sent you a pm Gerry.

Offline ayrgenes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 18:49 GMT (UK) »
maggbill,

just in case Gerry can't/hasn't been able to visit Dalbeth I shall be there tomorrow, Thursday, doing another look-up so will see what I can find for you.

Davie
Dempster - Glasgow, Muirkirk, Sorn, Ayrshire
McIntyre - Glasgow, Campsie
Hinde - Glasgow, Wolverhampton
McLintock - Glasgow, Kilmarnock,
McGlade - Rutherglen, Ireland
Kettlewell - Yorkshire