Author Topic: Marais/Marris family of Norwich, England  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Mary Alicia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Marais/Marris family of Norwich, England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 September 08 13:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you all so much. The Frank H in Norwich is his son and my grandfather. The Jersey lead is the one which looks the most promising. I am so happy to have found this out and it explains why he had no family in Norwich. I know he was a tailor as he worked in Norwich as one for many years.
maryalicia
Holmes Cork Pratt in Norwich Norfolk, Marais/Hubert in Norwich & Jersey, Morgan Lester Langley Youngman in Norfolk & Suffolk, Franklin in England, India & Australia, Ellis Cruise Courtney in Australia & Ireland, O'Donnell Sprake in Australia England and Ireland

Offline winston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 06:10 BST (UK) »
HI Maryalicia

Would you go as far as to obtain the marriage cert to confirm things so far - and maybe even find a name for a father figure?

Wendy
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Blakeley in Batley West Yorks
Turner in Hanging Heaton West Yorkshire
Dann last known area Soothill West Yorks
Hirst in Hanging heaton W Yorks
Moss in Morley and Leeds
Parker in Morley W Yorks
Parker in Hull E Yorks
Tilburns in Morley W Yorks

Offline Mary Alicia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 04 September 08 05:37 BST (UK) »
Yes I have applied for a marriage certificate.
maryalicia
Holmes Cork Pratt in Norwich Norfolk, Marais/Hubert in Norwich & Jersey, Morgan Lester Langley Youngman in Norfolk & Suffolk, Franklin in England, India & Australia, Ellis Cruise Courtney in Australia & Ireland, O'Donnell Sprake in Australia England and Ireland

Offline davgla

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Maryalicia!

Did we work together at Cheshire's bookshop in 1968?? We kept in touch for a short while after I returned to the UK. If you are the MH that I remember, it'd be lovely to get back in touch.

DG

Offline Mary Alicia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 10 August 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
My goodness what a surprise your email is. Yes I am the MH who worked at Cheshires in 1968. Please contact me on my email (*)
Mary

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Ray Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 August 18 07:12 BST (UK) »
I am pleased to see this information on 'Frank Marais' especially before 1901 as I have struggled with this also. I am not related but have researched this family some time back as my parents late best friends had this surname and I often wondered where his family came from as his name was French and like so many failed to ask the questions when he was alive. His name was Jack Marais born 1918, mother's maiden name also Marais which gives the impression his mother was unmarried although I have never got his birth cert. As the only Marais family in Norwich at this time was Frank and His wife Alice, nee Morgan I assumed Jack was the son of their daughter, Blanche - Any ideas?         

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 September 18 18:07 BST (UK) »
Message sent to me in error from Mary to Ray. Please log into RootsChat and press the blue reply button when you wish to send back a message  ;)

Regards

Sarah

Hi Ray

Yes he was illegitimate. His mother Blanche had a relationship with an American soldier during WWI and was expecting to marry him. He disappeared and was never heard of again. Even Jack's daughters didn't know the truth until recently.

What do you want to know?

Blanche was my great aunt. Her brother Frank was my grandfather.

Mary 

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ray Taylor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 September 18 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mary
Thanks for getting back to me. Jack, Iris (his wife) and their daughters were a very big part of my childhood and our family we did so much together which I have quite a bit of film footage of thanks to my late father - http://raytaylor.com/Taylor_1927_Raymond_Ernest_Tribute.htm
I have been trying make contact with the girls again to share it. I do family history research (genealogy) for a hobby and sometime back after doing mine looked and Jack's. The Morgans were OK back to Thomas (1800) but now looking at it again I could not find a direct link further back for his father James, (wife Mary) unless he had been married before to Sarah. As already been mentioned on this blog I could not find anything on Frank Marais further back than 1901. I to thought Tailor could have been Sailor but looking at other 'Ts' on the census forms I think Tailor is correct, although he could have been a Tailor by trade and a Sailor!!!

Everything points to Franks birth date as 1861 but there is no record of it and I don't know how to access the Channel Islands records although from one posting he could have been born Francis.

Hope this isn't to long winded.

Ray