Author Topic: FLEMINGSTON/FLEMING etc in the East Neuk  (Read 1561 times)

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
FLEMINGSTON/FLEMING etc in the East Neuk
« on: Sunday 31 August 08 05:46 BST (UK) »
I thought I had posted this somewhere but can't seem to locate it.

As it might be of interest to anyone researching this name in Fife (it's certainly something I hadn't known about it) I thought it worth posting as a separate topic.

It's a quote from the RootsWeb archives at:
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SCT-FIFE/2003-11/1068118208
which reads:
I'm not bothered about the FLEMINGSON/FLEMING problem, because anyone who has researched FLEMING in the East Neuk will have found the name spelt FLEMINGSON or FLEMINGSTON in older records.

There certainly seem to be plenty of variants of the name in old records in the IGI (and elsewhere) from the East Neuk!

Variants include - FLEAMAN, FLEEMAN, FLEEMEING, FLEEMEN, FLEEMIN, FLEEMING, FLEEMINGSTON, FLEEMON, FLEEMYN, FLEIMING, FLEMAN, FLEMEN, FLEMING,  FLEMINGSON, FLEMINGSTON, FLEMISTON, FLEMYNG, FLEMYNGSTON, FLEYMING, FLEYMYNG, FLIMAN, FLIMIN, FLIMING, FLIMINGSTON, FLIMSTON, FLYMING ...

I'm sure I've missed some  ;D

Please feel free to add more!

I'm always interested in variant spellings - as will become clear if anyone looks at my tag (I have nearly 100 variants of one surname! - mine is mainly a Stirlingshire surname though one variant had a particular development in Ayrshire where the name first appeared ca 1785).

JAP