Author Topic: Kennan nee Moffat  (Read 2459 times)

Offline jobowls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kennan nee Moffat
« on: Monday 01 September 08 20:30 BST (UK) »
Hi folks first timer Trying to find the death of Mary Kennan nee Moffat Married to Alexander Kennan Crossmicheal Know she Died between 51 and 52 cos she is on the 51 census but he remarried in 52 to an Agnes Douglas of Lochrutton he is listed as a widower does anyone have any ideas have consulted Scotlands People but their Death records start after 55 Help !!!!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Moffat
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 September 08 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

I'm sorry that I can't help with your query but can I just suggest that you amend your header to read Mary Kennan rather than Moffat as that was the surname under which her death would be registered

Just click the "modify" button in the right hand corner of your message
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 September 08 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi jobowls  :)

Welcome to Rootschat.

I have the MIs for all Kirkcudbrightshire parishes and will check in there for you. However, if there was no gravestone, the burials for Crossmichael only exist 1820-1832 and as you say, official registration didn't begin until 1855.

Regards

Gadget 

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 00:11 BST (UK) »
Hi again

Although it would be normal for her to be listed under her maiden surname on the MIs, I checked both surnames but she is not listed.

It might be that you could consult the Kirk Sessions Minutes for the period. There might be a mention but it's only an outside chance.

Sorry  :(

Gadget

Added - do you know where she was born. It might be that there is some reference to her on a family gravestone in another parish.

I see from the 1851 census that she was b. Troqueer  - I'll check there but it is only an outside possibility.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline jobowls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 September 08 07:22 BST (UK) »
Many thanks folks will continue to try to find Her.  Enjoying this Roots Chat and all the different  areas to explore once again many thanks  :D