Author Topic: James Royce b.1897  (Read 4775 times)

Offline cathjavelin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
James Royce b.1897
« on: Tuesday 02 September 08 18:32 BST (UK) »
This is a real long shot.

My great-grandfather James Jeffery Royce, born 4 May 1897 does not appear to exist!

However, from what I have gleaned from my grandmother, there may be a connection to Hay and she has also mentioned a "worthing connection".

The census return for Hay Union workhouse lists the matron at the time as Annie Worthing.

However, looking at the census returns I can't find James Royce (or Rees - which is my other cunning thought).

BUT - as far as I can see, there are only about a dozen children and a fair few elderly men and women. WHere are all the other children and women and men? Are they listed seperately and does anyone know where that might be? Were the able bodied men and women housed in a seperate building or place? Was there a Union School? He would have been 3 at the time of the census but may be listed as 4.

Finally, in later life I know he had a much shorter leg on one side. Was this the result of polio or TB? Was there a TB/polio hospital in the area that he could have been in?

Any advice would be most welcome as I have hit a total brick wall with this. Thanks in advance
Cath
Royce, Trodd, Payne, Liddiard, Russell, Durling, Marchant, Seager

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: James Royce b.1897
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 September 08 16:32 BST (UK) »
Cath,Ive checked the birth indexes on Ancestry in the qtr and year he was born and there isnt a  James Royce  registered anywhere in England or Wales

Couple of possibilities

1/He wasnt registered which was more unusual in1897 than in earlier years

2/He was illegitimate and his Mother remarried to a Royce so he was registered in his mothers name but later took his Stepfathers name this happened alot in my Family well confusing when trying to find them

3/Mr Royce was his Father but he was not married to the Mother

4/A possible his middle name is Jeffery this can also be a surname Jeffery?

And cant find him in 1901 census under either name?
Have you any other info that can help?

Best Wishes Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline cathjavelin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:38 BST (UK) »
I spoke to my grandmother again last night. Everytime I talk to her she remembers something else...

So - his mother may have died in childbirth producing a brother. This might have happened in South Africa. His mother might have been Swedish. There was a benefactress called Miss Grafton. There may be a connection to Eardingsly (the spelling is almost definitely wrong here) near Hay on Wye.

He was a stained glass artist and apprenticed to a man called Mr Paul in London. He also ended up being one of the most significant furnace builders of his generation.

He had one leg significantly shorter than the other - may have been a war wound but may also have been TB hip, perthes disease or polio.

When my great grandmother got mad at my great grandfather he used to call him "a bloody gypsy" (I apologise to anyone offended by my not very PC great granny!)
However he was blue eyed and red haired.

He lived at 105 Gower Street which was the same address as his future wife (this off the marriage certificate!) - got married in 1922 to Elizabeth Mary Jane Braxton, in London.

His father is listed as Thomas (Decd) on his marriage certificate.

You'd think with all this information I would be able to find his mother and father!!!!!!!!!

Been at this 3 years now and still no closer!

Cath

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:52 BST (UK) »
Try the South Africa Rootschat board.This would explain why we cant find him in 1901 and on the England Wales BMDS.Someone might be able to help.Will keep on looking

Good Luck
Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline cathjavelin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 September 08 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hiya
I've put a post on the SA board.
You never know... ;)