Author Topic: Burwash - Coker Egerton diaries  (Read 8122 times)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burwash - Coker Egerton diaries
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 28 February 09 08:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stovepipe

The first entry on page 48:
'Agricultural Labourer Stephen Sands, sixty-eight buried on the 4th.  ESCRO Par.284/1/5/2"

The actual record in the book reads;
"3 Sept - Sands funeral.  Mr Combs had a post mortem exam. & found that the poor man had been a fearful sufferer.  The poor will seldom allow such a thing as a post mortem but in this case I am thankful  it was allowed as the man had been considered a shammer...."

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 February 09 08:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

the excerpt on page 263 is a Mrs Sands (Barn House).

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 28 February 09 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks, Kerry - that's brilliant.

I'm going to look out for the diaries whenever I'm in a second-hand bookshop - seems like a fascinating work.

Best wishes,
Stovepipe

PS The year is 1858, I take it?
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 28 February 09 10:34 GMT (UK) »
They are a worthwhile addition to a local history library, very enlightening and sometimes quite comical.  And the great thing is all the references are there so further research on any likely ancestors can be done.

Kerry

Offline Roseanne1945

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 28 February 09 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes it would be one and the same.    Harriet did have a child called Bridget.   Harriet was my gt gt grandfather's second wife.   His first wife Jane Barrow died in Ticehurst in 1839.   They had 3 children.  Sarah, George and Thomas.   He then married Harriet in 1844, who I presume had Bridget by Reuben before they married.   They then had a further 9 children.  Frederick, Matilda, Elich, William, Reuben, Mary, Eli, Henry and Charles (my gt grandfather), who married a Rose Phillips.   All were born around the areas of Burwash, Cuckfield, Kaymer, Linfield, Southwick.  According to the 1861 census Reuben Russell was a Gamekeeper.    Bridget Pilbeam Russell  married a Charles Packham.  There were many Russells and Pilbeams.   Apparently there are still some Pilbeams in Burwash.   This  I cannot confirm because I live out in the Canary Islands and this was found out by pure luck.   In that one of my clients actually lived in Burwash so knows the Pilbeams and apparently they are still a rum lot, whatever that means.   Regards Rosemary

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 28 February 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
The Pilbeams in Burwash were meant to be involved in sorts of things such as smuggling and the entries in the Coker Egerton diaries suggest they liked to drink a lot.  Fortunately my Pilbeam line had moved away from Burwash towards Dallington before this time.  If go to my website www.kerrysfamilyhistory.co.uk you can see my family tree on the family tree tab.  I will send the password by private message.

Kerry

Offline sue9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 28 February 09 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Would you be so kind and look up page 311 no 7 re: 'Bodle' Richard Holmes I not sure if I'm seeing all the info.
Thanks
Sue

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 28 February 09 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue

"The 1924 edition of Sussex Folk, opposite P 78 contains a photograph of Holmes, smoking his pipe and dated 1885.  Holmes was the object of some publicity in 1883 when the Relieving Officer confirmed that Bodle, or Richard Holmes' baptism 97 years previously was entered in the Heathfield parish register.  However, Bodle claimed that he was baptised as a child of six or seven and remembered the occasion.  The report added that Holmes' brother Henry, aged about ninety, goes to work on the road every day.  Bodle is said to have consumed a great deal of beer in his time, and can now even discuss a pint with considerable relish.  Beer drinkers, with this example of longevity .... may fairly challenge their teetotal friends to produce a champion who has lived so long".  The Sussex Agricultural Express 7 April 1883

Kerry

Offline sue9

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 01 March 09 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry

Thanks for the info.
When Bodle (Richard Holmes) died there was a dispute to his age - he said to be 107 and the bapt was 102 but he said he remember walking to his bapt in his socking feet.
Bodle had 10 sisters and 4 brothers but I have no record of a Henry - I do have a William but have not found anything on him - so I'm thinking was he called Henry.
So thanks I'm off to check the census.
kind regards
Sue