Author Topic: Burwash - Coker Egerton diaries  (Read 8130 times)

Offline janeyjay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burwash - Coker Egerton diaries
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 September 08 20:34 BST (UK) »
hi Kerry,

Yeah, I had heard that were a notorious bunch, don't you just love the interesting characters, hope they weren't too badly behaved though!!    I have a fair few Pilbeams in my tree starting with Hannah Pilbeam (married  Richard Lamb 1832) , she was my 3 x gt grandmother and possibly going back to 1500's and Robert Pilbeame but not my own research I am afraid.  This has yet to be confirmed.
If they get a lot of mentions I think I may have to try to find this book, any idea whether it is still in print.

Jane

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 September 08 22:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

I don't think it is print at the moment but can usually be found in second hand bookshops and online.  Amazon sometimes have it.

Its well worth buying, it really gives a interesting picture of a Sussex village during the 1800s. 

My Pilbeams go back to Robert, when was Hannah born? she may well be in my tree.

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline janeyjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 September 08 08:36 BST (UK) »
Kerry

Hannah was born c 1812, daughter of William Pilbeam c1784 and Cordelia Lambert.

Is your research back to Robert Pilbeam 1590 confirmed info? if so we are connected somewhere along the line. I would love this to be correct but doubt anything that I have not got documentation for.

And now that book is definately on my wish list, am of to do online search.  Want to know more about these Pilbeams and what they have been up too.   I have John Pilbeam living at the Wheel Inn, Burwash which was  purported to be the roughest pub for miles.   Another branch of my tree has smugglers and yet another a witch so only to be expected : )

Jane

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 15 September 08 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

I don't think I have that Hannah in my tree but my line does goes back to Robert Pilbeame.  My line goes through Thomas Pilbeam and Hannah Eastwood and eventually moved away from Burwash towards Dallington.  I have over the last year been trying to confirm the tree I got from a contact on the web through parish registers.

Kerry

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline janeyjay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 September 08 20:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again Kerry

I have Thomas and Hannah in my tree also,  Thomas was brother to my 5 x gt grandfather Robert.

And many thanks for your info, I have found a second hand copy of  'Sussex folk and Sussex ways'  online and it should be winging its way to me.  Look forward to reading about the Pilbeams.

Jane   

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 September 08 20:37 BST (UK) »
Excellent Jane that's a good read also.

If you want any information about Thomas or his children let me know and in the meantime if you visit http://www.kerrysfamilyhistory.co.uk/html/george_pilbeam.html you can find out all about one of Thomas's sons who was my 4 x gr grandfather.

Kerry  :)

Offline Roseanne1945

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 February 09 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

I also have Pilbeams in my tree.   A Harriet Pilbeam 1820 married a Rueben Russell in November 1844.   Rueben and Harriet were my gt gt grandparents.

Rosemary

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 27 February 09 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosemary and welcome to Rootschat  ;D

I've been inputting some Burwash Pilbeam baptisms today onto my tree and came across a Bridge Russell Pilbeam baptised 1842 to a Harriot.  Is that likely to be that Harriot do you know?  I guessed that Russell must be the father's surname.

Kerry

Offline Stovepipe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Daddy Stovepipe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 February 09 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerry,

Any chance of looking up Stephen Sands in the diary book?  Google has a tantalising snippet that seems to include him, but it's very hard to make sense of.  If Google is to be believed it's on page 48.

There's another hit for his name on page 263, but the snippet shows a Mrs Sands.  If Stephen is mentioned there may I have that one too, please?

Many thanks in advance,
Stovepipe
Census information is Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk