Author Topic: Enfield Gun Factory  (Read 6924 times)

Offline Greentea

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Enfield Gun Factory
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 04:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, looking for any help on research of Enfield Gun Factory,  I have relatives who lived in Enfield Lock and worked there in mid 1800s.  Does anyone know if there is a history of the Factory available with employee names?  Many thanks :)

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
Re: Enfield Gun Factory
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 15:44 BST (UK) »
Enfield is in Middlesex not Essex and I thought that was true of the gun factory as well.

THe London and North Middlesex FHS published a booklet about the factory but I don't know if it contained any names.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greentea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 21:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your kind help David, it was my first post and I am learning the ropes.    I have lived in New Zealand for many years now - I'll follow your suggested research line.  Best wishes, GT

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:20 BST (UK) »
The gun factory in Enfield was not very far from the gunpowder mills at Waltham Abbey which is in Essex.  I think it was about seven miles between them.  My Maynard and Tamkin relatives worked in both in the 19th century.

It helps on this site if you post a few names and dates as this draws in other researchers.  It is also worth checking whether anyone else is researching your family by putting your names in the surname interests table.  The link is via "your surname interests" found at the bottom of every page.

David
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor

Offline Greentea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 22:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks again David, for helping me to learn about this great site and I will list surname interests.

My relative Charles Elliott is described as a Gun Barrel Viewer in the 1861 Cenus, living at  Enfield Terrace, Enfield.  I also have other relatives living and working in the same area.  Charles was born in Enfield Lock.

Best wishes,
GT

Offline ANYAS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 04 September 08 17:30 BST (UK) »

Hello GT and David,

I was born in Enfield, not too far from the factory you are speaking of.

It was always known as The Royal Small Arms Factory and was indeed in Enfield Lock at the far end of Ordnance Road.  I believe the factory was sited just beside the River Lee, not far from Enfield Lock Railway Station.  I'm afraid I don't know how to find out about staff that once worked there but I am sure if you Google Royal Small Arms Factory or look on Wikipedia something will come up.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.  Good luck.

ANYAS

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 04 September 08 20:00 BST (UK) »
This list of apprentices might help:

http://www.rsaf-aa.co.uk/rsaf/heritage/all_apprentices_list.pdf

Although I can't see any Elliotts before 1947

I did wonder about the following site

http://www.eppingforestdc.gov.uk/leisure_and_culture/Museum/ohelliott.asp

David

Offline Greentea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 September 08 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Anyas and David,

Wow :) I am overwhelmed by the interest and kind help you are giving to me.

I will research these sites as suggested.

Anyas, I was born in Broxbourne and remember the places you are talking about. I have lived in NZ for many years now and I dream of getting back to revisit these places one day, altho I know they will have changed. Seems a lot of my early ancestors were born, lived and died  in the Enfield, Edmonton area.

Thanks again for all your help,
GT

Offline darealjolo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 September 08 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi i use to live in Enfield Lock, well still do. I was going to suggest looking at the Friends reunited website and im sure i have seen there before a part where you can find people who worked at so and so places etc..
Askew, Barnard, Carr, Coulstock, Herbert, Lowe, Pumfrett, Stuckey, Waterman