Author Topic: Frustration - Emigration FROM America ???  (Read 2361 times)

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'm not over 40 ... I'm 39.95 plus tax!
    • View Profile
Frustration - Emigration FROM America ???
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 09:23 BST (UK) »
I think I'm bashing the head against a real brick wall, now. Doesn't seem to matter what I try googling, or searching for in other places ... I just don't seem to be able to find any records for people who emigrated from the US to other countries! All I'm finding is records of people who went to the US!

Grrrrrrrr!

Anyone know how to find these records, if they even exist?
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Frustration - Emigration FROM America ???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Deb

In my searching I have been more likely to find records of folks arriving than leaving (rather like today, no-one cares when you go, they check you out when you arrive). Do you have any ideas as to where your folks went?

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 10:12 BST (UK) »
What country/countries and dates are you looking fr?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 10:32 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in this too. I've had probs finding relatives returning from Malaysia in the 1930s and from US in 1820s .

Also, yesterday, I was helping Revmother on an Ayrshire thread. I found him leaving  - no problem but, again, I can't find resources for him returning from Canada.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 10:44 BST (UK) »
This all links in with a couple of other threads I started, on the Haerse family. Having had contact with Tutuladi, ... I think our John Haerse Sr left the US between 1875 and 1877, ... and came to Australia. His wife Columba (nee Rehm, born in Germany) followed shortly afterward, and their first son, John Benjamin, was born in March 1878, in The Rocks, Sydney (Tutuladi's information - thanks, Pat!).

We believe they had been living in New York, but can't find any record of (a) either of them leaving the US, or (b) either of them arriving in Australia.

From another of the childrens' birth certificates, incidentally, we now know that John Sr was born in Co. Donegal in Ireland, ... and on the pre-Ellis Island (Castle Garden?) site, I found a John Hearse, aged 22, arriving in New York from Queenstown aboard the "Nevada" on the 29/3/1873.

Okay ... erm ... I've waffled on, haven't I? LOL .... TMI?
I live in Sydney, Australia, and I'm researching: Powell, Tatham, Dunbar, Dixon, Mackwood, Kinnear, Mitchell, Morgan, Delves, & Anderson

Offline Nick29

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 13:29 BST (UK) »
Annoying isn't it ?  My grandfather visited New York in 1877, and I have a copy of the ship's manifest with his name at the very top.  I know he came back, because he married my grandmother over here, but he may as well have swum home, because there's no records for the homeward trip.  Good luck in your searches !  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 13:38 BST (UK) »
I counted on my fingers, and realised that the John Hearse mentioned on the Castle Garden site may not have been our man, incidentally: - if he was 22 in 1873, that would have put his year of birth at 1851 ... which is a few years out (age on children's birth certs put his y.o.b. between 1836 & 1841  ??? ).  So I won't get overly excited about the chap on the "Nevada" ...

Offline leighton

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 15:25 BST (UK) »
The National Archives have a number of Inward Passenger List for the period 1880 - 1960. They are in the BT/26 series.

Enter the name of the ship (or it's Official Number) you are interested in. It then shows a list of the Passenger Lists that are available for that particular ship.

For example: Search for the ship Mongolian.
There are over 150 hits, the first one being:
BT 26/10/56
Liverpool: SS Mongolian (Allan Line) travelling from Portland to Liverpool. Embarking at Portland and Halifax. Official Number: 98605.
List of passengers disembarking at Liverpool.
1891 Mar 1

leighton

Offline Deb D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 September 08 15:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks, leighton ... but we don't have a definite ship, yet, and the "Nevada" looks like it could be a red herring  :-\  ...  assistance very much appreciated, though  :-*