Author Topic: James Barry - Ringsend  (Read 3662 times)

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Barry - Ringsend
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 09:46 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to get back further on the above.  Info I have to date is:
James Barry (b Ringsend 1825 – d circa 1911):
Listed as a retired Shipwright in 1901 Census. But profession of “Publican” given on Marriage Cert of his son William in 1878.  According to Thoms Directory he lived at Thomas St Ringsend in 1852 and was listed as a Housepainter and then at No2 Bridge Street in Ringsend (the address changed to No 7 also) from 1877 to 1895 where he was listed as a Shipwright and Spirit Dealer.  In 1876 the owner of this house was listed as Mathew Barry also a Spirit Dealer.  He moved to 23 Island St in 1899. He married Elizabeth (nee might have been Heaps as Thoms Directory lists a Joseph Heaps Spirit Dealer as the occupier of 2 Bridge Street prior to Matthew Barry taking over in 1876) circa 1851. It is possible that James Barry took over the business of Spirit Dealer from Joseph Heaps on the death of his father-in-law.

Does this correspond with anyone's tree, if so I'd be greatful to share any info.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline Barry girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Barry - Ringsend
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 June 10 20:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Rory
Think we must be related through a Barry marriage way back!!  Just discovered this forum by chance last night when using Google search engine to see if anything would pop up re Great Great Grandfather James Barry of 23 Isand St. Usher's Quay.  Could not believe my luck that somebody else out there was researcing same person!  So excited stayed up all night ploughing through the forum and then registered at 4.am!!

I am direct descendent of James Barry.  Am so grateful for all the extra info which is putting everything in place.   My Dad (unfortunately now dead) always told story of Great Great Grandfather  being shipwright and a publican..definately never a mention of being in Royal Navy.   I had thought James was from Cork but that must be back another generation.  It is my ambition to trace the Cork roots...my Dad always wanted to do a family tree and now I am going to do it in his place.    Can you tell me how I go about getting birth cert for James Barry...can I get it online ? 

Was trying to trace everyone in 23 Island Street  to see where they were in 1911 and came up with a blank on James's grandaughters Elizabeth and Louisa....great now to have info that Elizabeth married Robert Taylor. 

I traced that when James died his wife Elizabeth (My great great grandmother) went to live at some stage with her eldest daughter Mary who had married a William Gaffney but is now widowed on 1911 census.  Her unmarried brother and sister  Edward and Ellen (she who was born in Devenport) also lived with them..  See cenus 1901 for original Gaffney family unit at Bridge St. Ringsend and 1911 for household with Gaffneys and Barrys in Queen's Square South Dock. 

A big thanks to Jen and Trish on forum for the info on the Devenport connection which had me really puzzled.

Thrilled to get the spirit dealer connection and my Great Grandmothers maiden name..HEAPS ..thanks to whoever found that...can't remember. As you can imagine am exhausted at this stage but sleepless night was worth it!

I will open a new thread on James Barry to see if anyone else out there any info which may help me trace back further as not many will want to read this very long message.   I would love to know when my Great Great Grandmother Elizabeth died and where she and husband James are buried.

Rory, you are probably more interested in Talbot side of family but if you or any other member have further interest in Barry side this is my family line .

My Father.............Patrick Barry (died 1986)   

My Grandfather... James (Jimmy) Barry (fireman)  d1964
served in Brigade from 1914 to 1954  Buried  Mount Jerome Harolds Cross

My Great Grandfather .....Patrick Barry (fireman) and brother of James the Shipwright become Station Master at Buckingham Street firestation. Served in Brigade from 1887 to 1923.  Love to know where he buried.

See 1901 and 1911 census at 10 Buckingham Street..  Head of Family Patrick Barry married to Rachel (Nee?)

I found James Barry by searching all Barry households in 1901 till I found a shipwright around right age with similar family christian names to Patrick his brother.   Having been 99.9 per cent sure I had nailed him I am now100 per cent sure that I have found my Great Great Grandfather. Am so happy!

My Dad always told great stories re firebrigade as he was reared in Thomas Street firestation family quarters till moved to Harolds Cross when he around 13.  My Dad's Mother was Sarah Harty but unfortunately she died when Dad only 13 .  Photo and article re James and Patrick Barry's time in firebrigade in newspaper article in Irish Press 17/8/1957.

With regard to William Barrry...Elizabeth's father I delighted with info re RNavy connection and assume you found that on 1911 census he is living with his unmarried daughter Mary at 59 Pembroke Cottages. He is described at Engine Fitter unemployed..assume retired at that stage.

It looks like when James Barry died that the household broke up and Elizabeth now married to Robert Taylor lived for some time at 23 Island Street and all others moved out.  Wonder how they ended up in Kilcullen ....you probably know the answer to that at this stage.   

Hope above of some interest.   
Cheers Barry girl 

Offline Barry girl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 June 10 00:43 BST (UK) »
Rory,  Just noted a typo error in my message to you today.  I stated that my Great Grandfather Patrick Barry was a brother of James Barry-Ringsend. Meant to say he was a SON of James Barry and a brother therefore of William Barry. 

Offline obbie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • miska moo samoyed and holly hunter cocker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 June 10 02:55 BST (UK) »
from glasnevin cemetry if hes buried here you might be able to guess which one from takin age away from death year to give birth year (if you can give educated guess)

the patrick barry who retired in 1923 .
search pat barry on most recent date , no results .
you will then be able to search for patrick barry search 1933 with the 10 years either side button , this brings up several patrick barrys .

http://www.glasnevintrust.ie/genealogy/

census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Hanrahan dublin - brock limerick dublin - farrington wicklow dublin - fagan dublin wicklow - mescall clare u.s.a - heron herring wales england

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 10 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry Girl

I've sent you a PM regarding yoour postings.

Rory
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 June 10 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Barry Girl

I've sent you a PM regarding yoour postings.

Rory

I dont think PMs work until you both have 3 or more posts

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 June 10 21:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks Shane, I forgot that.

Barry Girl,
I have lots of info for you regarding my research and also I have a copy of my family tree saved on-line. When you make another posting we will be able to send personal messages and I can give you my contact details.  I'd love to hear more on what you have on the Barry family.  I think the Robert Taylor you refer to in Island St should read Robert albot - he was my GGrandad, he and Elizabeth moved to Kilcullen around 1923 and he died in 1955, Elizabeth died in 1931

Looking forward to hearing from you

Rory

Offline BarryBaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Hey,

I’m Joseph Barry’s youngest granddaughter, his dad was Patrick Barry(son of James Barry).

So James Barry is my Great Great Grandfather.

Great to read all the info, I’ve been trying to add to an ancestry tree for awhile now.

Offline BarryBaby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 03:40 GMT (UK) »
In my tree I have as far back as 1762.

@barrygirl

Patrick Barry married Rachel Nicholson, who was my grandads mother.