Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 73950 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« on: Wednesday 03 September 08 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone
I have decided to lock the original Carver Ramblings thread as it has become too unwieldy

Any new Carver descendants might like to see link below before joining in here

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,21720.0.html

The original thread started out as a lookup for my Wrestlingworth Carvers. There is a lot of information concerning both Wrestlingworth and Southill Carvers and attempts to link the two families, plus wanderings to W Yorks, Cambs and Herts (and Australia) and Norfolk Carvers who wandered to E Yorks but haven'd been linked to the Beds lot. There are also links to various other of my Carver related threads.

I have no new info on my lot.  Still hoping to find confirmation that the John Carver who married Elizabeth Merrington in Cockayne Hatley on 25 June 1781 is the one baptised in Dunton Sep 24 1758 son of John CARVER and Mary (Williamson/Willason)

Hope to see you all here

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 October 08 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

If you recall I was having difficulty tracing the final whereabouts of my grandfather Samuel Carver (died 1929) and his mother Emma (Cox) Carver (died 1928) in Leeds.   I have finally cracked this one - they were both buried at the Woodhouse Cemetery.  This cemetery now forms part of the grounds of Leeds University and has been cleared and it is now park land.  The reason that I could not find them is because the Leeds Family Records Office have missed of a sizeable chunk of people from the index they use.  I was able to confirm my suspicions in that they were in Woodhouse all along by requesting a viewing of the original burial register held by the Brotherton Library which is part of Leeds University.   

Additionally, through my Uncle in Australia, I now have a portrait of Samuel Carver.  This is the first time I have ever seen an image of him.  I have attached the portraits here.  To recap, this Samuel Carver (1887-1929) is the brother the Canadian Carvers (Jonah and George Thomas) and the son of Samuel Snr. and Emma.   There is a family resemblance passed on to my father and myself based on these images - or at least I can see it anyway.

Neil.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 October 08 21:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Thanks for posting the picture. I've just compared it with the one of my great grandfather Robert Carver (over on the left here) and think there is some family resemblance. Glad you have finally found Samuel's resting place. I recently found that  Robert, who died 1915, and his son also Robert, who died 1913, were both buried in the burial ground of the Three Counties Asylum. The Asylum is now flats - I haven't managed to find out what happened to the burial ground.

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 October 08 01:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Neil for posting that photo (it almost looks like a painting?)

Thanks also, for the quick email - which brought me over here... ;)

I, too, have had family photos passed on to me recently and am including a photo of a young-looking Jonah Henry Carver here, as well.  I have another photo of him, much older, but the quality is not very good.  His trademark was his mustache, apparently...

It is my understanding JH Carver is buried in Royal Oak Burial Park in Victoria, BC, but that has yet to be confirmed...

Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 08 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi BCsandra

Nice to see you again. Thanks for posting Jonah, that is some moustache! Again there seems  a family resemblance to my g grandfather Robert on the left.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Yel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
The pictures are very interesting but sorry to say I can't see any particular likeness to my father. Sorry not to have been in touch for such a long time but it's been a busy summer.
I've been reading through part 1 trying to see where my family fit into the picture. My dad was the son of Nellie Carver (born 1877 in Leighton Buzzard) who was the daughter of David and Annie. David was the son of Jesse (by the way when he married he put his and his father's profession as bailiff), having read part 1 I gather it's likely that Jesse was the son of John and Martha, John being the one born in 1758 rather than the son (1785)?
Ley

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 October 08 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Ley

It does seem more likely that the John who married Martha is the one born 1758 rather than his son because Martha was 50 when she died in 1819.  Unfortunately the marriage entry doesn't give anymore information. John the son, along with his brother Simeon, vanishes off the face of the earth.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline BCsandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 November 08 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi again - the weather is getting a bit chilly at this end so time to do more work on the Family Tree.

Question:  I have info that a Mary Carver married James Bird on 3/6/1811 in Wrestlingworth, Beds.  I don't have a birth date or parents name for Mary; but James Bird b/d 6/6/1790 in Cockayne Hatley, Beds.  What are the chances that this Mary Carver is the daughter of John (1759) & Elizabeth Merrington, and sister to George and Young Carver??

I've tried looking in IGI and found b/d listing for James Bird and marriage to Mary Carver but no details on Marys' parents or her birthdate or place.

Also in the Bird family tree: James' niece, Sophia Bird married James Bartle - their son, William Bartle (b/d 13/12/1846 Wrestlingworth) marries a Maria Carver (b/d 17/16/1849) in 1868 Biggleswade. Maria's parents are shown as James Carver and Sophia in an IGI search but in searching for possible parents, the only marriage of a James Carver shown in IGI is the son of Young Carver who marries Annie Handley but that's not until 1852.

Lots of head scratching...but now I'm thinking I'll go search to see if there is a "Bird" family thread...

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or info, I'd appreciate it! :)  Thanks in advance!

Sandra
Bedfordshire - Carver
Dorset - Salmon
Isle of Man - Keith, Kelly, St. Clair
Lancashire - Keith, Carver, Salmon
Staffordshire - McLachlan
Yorkshire - Carver, Stout, Coates, Keith

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 November 08 11:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra

The Birds and Carver are very tightly linked and yes it is Mary sibling to Young and George who married James Bird and their brother William's first marriage was to Elizabeth Bird - so 3 Carver brothers and 1 sister married 3 Bird sisters and 1 brother! Later there is a lot more intermarrying of the family. There is this BIRD thread which gives some examples

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,284535.0.html

Plus contains links dealing with James Carver and Sophia Breed. Their marriage took place in Sutton but is not on the IGI

James Carver of Cockayne Hatley to Sophia Breed of this parish on 15th Oct 1831

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale