Author Topic: CARVER Ramblings Part 2  (Read 73947 times)

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: CARVER Ramblings Part 2
« Reply #198 on: Tuesday 03 July 18 16:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

I've had a quick look but nothing obvious popping up about Minnie (or Nellie who I had another look for) but I will have another more thorough burrow at some point.

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: Monday 22 April 19 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

On the case again.

I have a loose end in ELIZABETH CARVER bapt Dunton, Beds, 30 Mar 1746 [daughter of JOHN & MARY] and a possible lead.

Does 'the team' think/know the marriage of ELIZ CALVER to JOSEPH COLLOP, 18 Oct 1768, in Dunton, Beds is plausible for our Elizabeth?    She would have been abt 21.  If so, what happened next? 

The Carvers of Dunton habitually seem to have been Calvers during these years.

Regards,

Neil.

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: Monday 22 April 19 12:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Neil

That marriage certainly looks likely. There is a burial for Elizabeth Collep age 82 in Dunton on 11 Mar 1827 which could well be her. Joseph Cullip 84 is buried in Dunton on 4 Jan 1823

Other burials in Dunton
Elizabeth Collip 28 Oct 1788
Mary Collip 15 Oct 1788
Sarah Collip 13 Oct 1773
George Collip 16 Dec 1799
Keziah Collip 64 19 Feb 1838

Family search has these Collip baptisms all with parents Joseph and Elizabeth
Kezia 18 May 1777
Mary 20 August 1769
Joseph 30 May 1773
George 26 August 1787
Sarah 21 June 1771

Jan
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: Saturday 06 June 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi, anybody still out there?

After several years of inactivity for various medical, technology and family problems,  Lockdown finally concentrated my mind in recovering "lost" data from a variety of backups and the desire to write a coherent account of the Southill Carver descendants.  One of the advantages of going through every bit of info from scratch is that I worked forward in time rather than backwards and several tidbits now fall into place. 

One of the enigmas is John Carver b Hitchin 1762, apprenticed in Hitchin 1778 and died London 1836.  His will mentions his wife, unnamed, and son John.  Otherwise there are no records/clues as to who and when he married and when his son was born.

I have several possible London theories, but started looking back nearer to home.  One possible is marriage to Elizabeth Merrington in Cockayne Hartley in 1781.  Jan seems to have a theory about this, but is there proof that it can't be my John?

Chris
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: Sunday 07 June 20 12:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

Good to hear from you

I believe John who married Elizabeth Merrington in 1781 was  baptised 1758 in Dunton son of John and Mary Willason/Williamson but have no proof. However a John and Elizabeth had children baptised Cockayne Hatley/Wrestlingworth 1781 to 1799 and a John Carver aged 68 is buried in Wrestlingworth in 1827 so the circumstantial evidence points in the right direction for him being the Dunton John.

Jan

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline Easby Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: Sunday 07 June 20 15:58 BST (UK) »
Y'all,

Can't wait for the Southill mob account!   Put me down for a copy.

I have notes for John Carver b Hitchin St Mary, 2 Dec 1762; but it is so long since I was last this way, it would take me a while to get my head round them.  For what they are worth, you are welcome to them.  It may even be, of course, that I sourced the information originally from you.

"Note:  There are Wesleyan burials at Stepney for:

Thomas Carver - b. abt 1759; bur. 29 Nov 1829. (Green Street)
John Carver - b. abt 1763; bur. 1 Jan 1836.
Elizabeth Carver - b. abt 1765; bur 20 Jul 1825.
Buried at Globe Fields Burial Grounds (now Whitechapel)

Only Mary missing - suspect she either died young or married.  Looks like family moved to Stepney.

Note: As at Nov 2015 can not find where DoB came from."

Cheers.

Neil (Easby)

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: Thursday 11 June 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,

It's interesting starting again with a different perspective.  When working back in time you tend to accept someone else's assumptions about early birth dates (for nonconformists in my case).  But starting at the earliest known ancestor and working forward and checking all "facts" again, you spot the anomalies. So here goes:

Thomas Carver married Mary Bromidge in 1720, but the births of 4 assumed children were  after 1728.

Of these only 2 could reasonably be proven:  Rebecca 1728 (burial of infant) and Rev John 1733 (obit).  I now think Samuel was born 1830 (aged 14 at apprenticeship), but think Thomas would have been born a lot earlier because a) he married in 1746 and b) first born son normally named after father, so I'm guessing c1721/2.

t's very possible that others were born in the intervening eras, possibly 3 of them in 1722/3, 1724/5 and 1726/7.  So what happened to them?

I've had a quick scan of all the postings to see if there were unexplained Carvers appearing in Wrestlingworth, but thought you might have some theories that could fit this pattern?  Could this be the missing link?  Also wonder where the name Rebecca comes from?

Over to you

Chris.

PS Are you the Jan B I had correspondence with back in 2007 with a onetel email?
London - Carver Philbedge<br />Sheffield - Carver Lindley Lockey Denton Naylor Barnes Wright Fawkes Bradshaw White Allen<br />Durham - Lockey<br />Wales - Philbedge<br />Beds - Carver<br />South Africa - van der Sandt, Heydenrych<br />Somerset - House Hembery Marshall Parsons Bell Dare Neath Gray

Offline Chris Carver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: Friday 12 June 20 09:43 BST (UK) »
HI, has anybody any knowledge of the Keysoe Carvers and where they fit in?

Has anybody seen the will of Samuel dated 1712 appointing his wife Elizabeth as executor?

Is this the Sam whose wife Martha died in 1702 and he remarried?

I'm wondering if not, could he be this Sam's father and also of Thomas of Turvey/Southill

Chris

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: Friday 12 June 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Chris

I've been going through my Carver info, I found a couple of parish records  in Keysoe but don't know how they fit in. As far as I can tell my Carvers were in Sutton then Dunton at this time. I haven't found  any unexplained Carvers in 1720s but will let you know if I come across any.

And yes I am the Jan B you mention, that email address is long defunct. Unfortunately I don't seem to have kept a record of our correspondence.

Jan

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale